Intake boot screws too tight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot screws too tight...

So I got the 4 o-rings from suzuki for my intake boots, only problem is that the screws are soooo tight I can't get them out with a normal screwdriver no matter how hard I try...

I would spray some carb cleaner or something on there but I am afraid of damaging them.

I have an impact driver but I'm pretty sure my hammer won't reach the ones in the middle even with the airbox removed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Simon 8)

get a short phillips head screwdrive, and on the inside screws you cant get the impact driver on, insert the screwdriver and tap it with a hammer a few times, you are trying to work lube in to the threads, corrosion out, and generally break the "stick" the bolt has.
    Then use the impact driver as a screwdriver, these generally have a real nice tip that fits these phillips well. they should come out. if you get one of the pair out rotate the boot to get the other broken loose. then take one of those screws to the bike shop or hardware store and get allen head replacements.
    I think I managed to get a small ball peen in on mine, they came loose relatively easily.

Comment

It's sometimes necessary to use a Dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel to carve a good thick slot in the screw head. Use a regular square-shaft Craftsman screwdriver with a wrench on the shaft to break the screw loose.

In the worst case, use the same tool to grind the head completely off.

Be certain to shove rags into the intakes first to prevent entry of metal filings!

Obviously, you will then need new fasteners. You can go with hex or allen head replacements.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

My experience is carbs off, also cam chain tensioner off to get at a couple of the screws. My impact driver didn't have much effect. I had to drill all but a couple of mine out which is pretty normal. I'd replace the screws with 6mm allen head (or hex head) screws anyway.

Comment

I had the same problem on two bikes and found an easy and safe fix. Get the correct bit to fit the screw from a screw gun and a socket to hold the bit. Use a ratchet and take it out like you would any other bolt. Using the ratchet handle lets you get a better bite into the screw head without any danger of damaging anything. It hasn't let me down yet.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I had a real easy time with my stuck screws putting a pair of vise girps on the head and twisting those.

Comment

For the ones in the middle I took the bit from my impact driver (which was a 3/8 bit) and put it in my ratchet driver (also 3/8). I then too a ball pean hammer and tapped the handle of the ratchet while pushing the bit up against the screw. I got all but one which stripped. This screw required the dremel tool to cut a flat notch. I then repeated the previous method using the flat bit from the impact driver. Once you get them all out, toss them and get yourself some allen head bolts and some anti-sieze compound.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I've heard a bunch of good info from various people and I think I know how to attack it now

-Simon 8)

Comment

Working...
                X