Installing Pre-1980 carbs on the 1980 CV style head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Pre-1980 carbs on the 1980 CV style head

Please help. I am installing a set of 28mm VM Style Carbs (Pre 1980) on a 1980 CV Style head. The application is a GS 1000. I need a set of intake boots that fit the smaller bore VM carbs but fit the bigger intake holes on the head side of the 1980 model.

I believe this is possible because I have seen 29mm Smootbores on a late model CV head and the 29mm would have the same manifold application as the 28VM's

I have utilized this site extensively and it has been a great resource. I have just acquired a '80 1000S Cooley rep that is rusted up, but is all there. The CV carbs are completly shot and I have a set of VM's that are in good shape. I have committed to a frame up resto but need to get the bike running 1st to see what shape the engine and tranny are in. The carb install is holding up the process as far as starting the tear down after hearing it run. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATTED. Steve

1980 GS1000s came with 34mm CV carbs. The intake ports on the 1980 head are sized to match. Even if you find intake boots that fit the carbs & the head,
    the 6mm difference in diameter wil cause LOTS of problems.
    Are you sure the setup you saw is 29 mm smoothbores? There are also 33mm smoothbores.
    34 mm cv carbs were standard equipment on 1980-84 2 valve GS 1000/1100
    Shafties, 1980 -83 1100 TSCC models & (I think) 1150s as well. They show up on ebay regularly. Finding a good set would save a lot of grief.
    Other options that would make your life easier:
    Find a set of 33mm smoothbores. (rare & expensive, but a better fit than 28s!)
    Get a set of 34mm flatslides (expensive, but readily available.)
    Get a 78-9 head (the 28s wil fit perfectly)
    Here's a set of carbs that would work

Here's another

You may be thinking that it will be easier & cheaper to use what you have, but the carb/port mismatch will make getting a smooth idle a NIGHTMARE You'll need a set of 34s for your resto, why not get 'em now?

Terry

Comment

Terry: Thanks for the info. One of the EBAY links for another set of carbs you passed on is off of a GS1100. Which other models will bolt on to my '80 1000 and do you know of any of the other makes with the stock CV's that will bolt straight up. I have also noticed stock CV Flatside 34 and 36', do you know of any of these might bolt up. I will move in the direction of the 34CV's, just wondering how many other models will bolt up which makes the EBAY universe that much better.

Any advise on finding replacement rubber holders/intakes for the 1980 setup. The holders on the bike are worse off than the CV carbs.

Thanks again for the support, Steve

Comment

You might find some info on carb boots here

Comment

Stock boots are still available. Check here for the parts numbers http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm Be sure to get the o-rings as well.
          The important thing to remember when carb shopping is the spacing of the carbs. Suzuki used the same spacing as Kawasaki. Here's a page that explains it. http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/miku...ing_specif.htm
          The best match for your bike would be a set from a 2 valve 1000, shaft or chain drive. They would bolt right on without any jetting changes. TSCC 1100 carbs will fit, but you will need to re-jet to 2 valve 1000 specs.
          I don't know which kawasaki models use 34mm CVs, or if the linkage is the same.
          Terry

Comment

These should fit nicely:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
            X