i am the biggest dumb@ss!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am the biggest dumb@ss!!

for two weeks now I've been convinced that my poorly running bike had finally blown something major inside, and I suspected the valves. last work I did on it had no impact on the problem, so I assumed the worst and haven't ridden for two weeks.

last night I finally made time to check the compression, and since it seemed to be right around 50 or so for all the cylinders, i was stumped.

so I decided to clamp off the vacuum line for the petcock, since I had found that the diaphram was pierced and knew it was leaking.

turns out that the vacuum on that can really pull alot of gas thru!!!!! 8O I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but with a new diaphram from the 850 petcock, everything is back to hunky dory!!

of all the silly little things :roll: but I'm glad to have my bike back, missed some great fall riding tho

Glad you got her figured out. If you are still looking for aseat for the 850, I think there is one one fleabay now.
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I doubt You Hold the Title. That would make an interesting New Thread "Who on the GSR is the Biggest Dumb#ss! :P
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

"dumba**?" Been THERE!!

I've worked on gas engines (cars, motorcycles, yard machines, etc) since '73 and sometimes I STILL amaze myself with my mechanical faux pas's.

At least you did the most important thing: check the easiest items first, THEN tackle the harder stuff (for example, don't tear off a cylinder head until a compression check AND leak-down test give you a good idea that you HAVE to tear off the head).

Comment

That is nothing! You still have years to go to make really stupid mistakes My latest was probably changing burnt out coils before deciding to check the plug caps..they were bad and overloading the coils! Another was pulling aprt my ST1100 and doing all sorts of electrical bypasses to get poser back, assuming the most complicated provblems. It was a simple connector that overheated and was blackened. A clean and crimp, worked perfectly...6 hours later!

Comment

The 2 most common problems... out of gas and fuel line obstruction (Actually the same problem) have been responsible for more carb and engine rebuilds than most mechanics will ever acknowledge.

Comment

REMEMBER you need to hold the throdle wide open when checking the compression

Comment

Glad you fixed the issue. I find myself doing insanely idiotic things about once a week or so. Worst last month was forgetting to tighten the fork drain bolts back after flushing the fluid. Fried a set of pads that way, in addition to wasting all the brand new oil I'd put in. This month the winner so far is not actually checking my tire pressure for a couple of months, even though I carry a gauge in my jacket pocket at all times. I looked at the rear tire yesterday and realized it was nearly bald along the center stripe, and checked it at well below 20psi. Yikes...

Comment

doen't feel alone did the same thing back in 1980 with my first kz650. got on it hard after work going home and it started running rough. only had the bike about 3 months ran home and looked in tank seen gas. thought i blew the engine from reving it too high. took to dealer left for two weeks, called asked how bike was coming along they said out of gas. i said no had gas im calling on bike with blown engine , they said not blown you were out of gas! i felt stupid.

Comment

No I think I've got the youthful idiot award... I was a sophmore in college and had just gotten a KZ305LTD. Not much on muscle or speed but it was in absolutely mint condition and I had only paid $350 for it.

Well one day I decided I was going down the street to show my friend my "new" bike. I saw him standing outside so I pulled into his driveway quickly. I also managed to drive over a bunch of wet leaves... You can guess what happened.

After pulling the bike off of me, he helped my shaky hands pick the bike up. My "mint 1 minute ago" bike now had a bent triple tree as well as bent handlebars.

I am so special sometimes...
                    2010 Honda VFR1200F
                    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                    Being Revisited
                    1981 Honda CM400T
                    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

thanks for the commiseration.

figured out that the 850 diaphram must be hanging up somewhere, everything seem right, sealed with the engine off, runs great around town, but on the highway wrung out it can't feed enough fuel. have to mess with that but at least I have a new diaphram that is for the model on the way!!

8)

Comment

Dude I had the same problem and went throught cleaning the carbs two times until I firgured out that the diaphram was bad. Then once it was repaired redo the carbs again to get them balanced right.

:roll:

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
                          I doubt You Hold the Title. That would make an interesting New Thread "Who on the GSR is the Biggest Dumb#ss! :P
                          I should be a solid runner up..... when I started polishing my first piece on my GS1100E, scotchbrite pad rubbing.........not much happening......rubbing harder.......still not much happening.......... finally after about 1/2 hour and a sore wrist, I realized Suzuki clear coates their engine covers. "_Clam places the big "Loooooooser" sign on his forehead"
                          Rich

Comment

Working...
                          X