interchangable speedometers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interchangable speedometers?

I need to buy a new or used speedometer for my 81 gs850L. If I could have my pick, I would like to replace the existing (and broken) 80 mph speedo with one of the 130 mph speedos. Are all of the gs speedos interchangable? I realize that the housings are different on many of the bikes, but are the speedometers themselves (sealed in the plastic case) the same throughout? Are they the same size? Is there any difference in the gearing? etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm eyeing some used ones on the webernet, but would like to be fairly certain that it will fit before I buy one, as I hold my money so tight that I can tell you what year a penny was minted in just by squeezing it, or some such B.S. as I have been told. :?

thanks,

anyone?

Comment

I know that the speedo on a 78 750 will not fit in mine. Among other things, the back of the housing was shaped such that it would not fit properly in my cluster, and the tripto reset was configured for a roller from the side rather than a front pushbutton. I'm sure that something has a unit that would work, but haven't gotten far enough to find one yet.

Comment

Unless I am mistaken they should all work from 1981 to 1983 as long as they are not clustered as one unit.

Comment

By the way I meant the 750, 850, and 1000

Comment

update: I just bought an 82 GS650L parts bike today for cheap. It had the 140 mph speedo. I was able to make the swap, but hteir were a few differences. The 650's speedo is just a hair larger than the 81's. It fit but just barely. I had to use the 82's housing. It looks identicle, but it is larger. The wiring had changed slightly, so I used the 81's wiring in the 82's speedo.
            I put her all back together and took her for a ride. Works great.

thanks everybody!

p.s. If you need some parts for an 82 GS850L...

Comment

I could be interested in the carbs.

Have an 85 650 that was running beautifully for a while, then died, sputtering. Opened the float bowls, found that one of the risers that holds the float pivot had separated. I think the previous owner may have repaired it and it finally came apart as there was a layer of 'something' at the joint. Not sure what it was, but it held for at least two years!
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X