points problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

points problem.

Every time i take the 750 out it runs perfect for the first 65-75 miles. after that it starts breaking up between 5,000- 7,000 RPM not enough to be unrideable but enough to be annoying. After the ride i have to pull the points and clean them because they have corrosion built up on them( its gotten to the point where i do this on the side of the road sometimes a couple times a day). after i clean or change the points its good for another 75 miles. any ideas?

What kind of contact cleaner are you using?

Are you changing the condensers when changing points? Of course, if it were condenser or coil problems, the odds of it affecting BOTH points are pretty slim. BUT?

Find an ohm meter and check coil resistance. Going from ancient memory, it should be about 4 ohms?. ???? If it?s much less than that, the extra current will burn points. If you can, get a measurement through the WHOLE circuit? ignition, kill switch, etc?

Filing contacts is a great way to get home, but once home you should plan on changing the points. Filed contacts never last as long as ?virgin? contacts, in my experience.

Remember that new points have preservative coatings that must be washed off. Good, clean, business cards can be wiped through new contacts and you?ll be amazed at the stuff they?ll pick up. This doesn?t work with used points as the surface will likely be rough enough to tear up the card. Also be careful you don?t leave little pieces of paper?

Remember that feeler gauge measurements are only relevant against smooth surfaces. Once the points have some burn, you?ll be better off ?eyeballing? the gap, IMO.

Be sure you?re not getting cam lube or oil from a shaft seal leak or ? ??? on the contacts?

Once you?ve identified the problem (never ?upgrade? unless you know what WAS wrong) you might still find some MaxiDwell or Accell point sets around. These utilized Chevy V8 points that open twice as fast as the Japanese points. The extra opening speed cuts the arc period in half, increasing contact life by more than double.

Some MaxiDwells had a built in timing light option that was VERY handy for road side. They also utilized high quality Caps in place of condensers. (about 22microF if I remember????)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I would only add that maybe you could run your bike and watch the points with the timing cover off. If you have arcing between the points, its probably time to change condensors. Points shouldn't be out of alignment, and I assume that your gap is correct.

Comment

Are you sure your points are the problem? Could it be a heat related issue, such as coil insulation breaking down. The engine cools down while you fiddle with the points, and when you restart it it's fine. Could be fuel starvation, caused by a blocked vent in the cap too. That would give the same result. Just a thought. Even worn/corroded points once cleaned up should be ok for a few thousand miles. It sounds odd to have to "dress" the points every time you go for a ride.

Comment

last time I had such a problem I spent lots of time on points but it all got better when I replaced a broken plug cap.

There are excellent posts here on the points for a 77 750, but the erratic kind of expereince your having would have me checking other things

Comment

I'm sitting here remembering a 75 Beetle that my sister owned for a few years that developed a problem with its points for a while. I'd have to go rescue her several times a week because her points were closing up while running. I finally determined that the cam surface that the points rode upon had developed a bit of a rough surface due to a tiny bit of condensation that had settled in there somehow. I finally took a sliver of 600 wet/dry sandpaper and a drop of oil on that cam and polished it to within an inch of its life. The points quite closing up and it ran forever afterwards.

Comment

NOTE: Z1 enterprises just lowered the price on the Dyna S ignition to $120!! for ZUKs too.
              Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

i guess i'll get into it this weekend and see what comes up. if i let it cool down even for a couple days it still runs the same until i clean the contacts. unfortunately a dyna (even at that price) isn't in the budget right now. also the last two sets of points i've put on it have been of questionable quality, anybody know of a place to get a decent set. motorcycle(non-harley) parts are all but impossible to get around here.
                i asked the parts department at the suzuki dealership here and the guy laughed and said: " motorcycles have always had electronic ignitions, never points" the ignorance is stifling in these parts.

Comment

Pitting points is usually a condenser problem or the points are staying closed too long and the dwell needs correcting.
                  If you plan to keep the bike awhile, I suggest the Dyna "S" system and their coils. Next to a good reg/rec such as the Electrex, best money you'll spend on the bike.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yeah, I went with a Dyna S as I found the points to be very annoying. And it probably has to be one of the single best upgrades done to my bike.

The ignition runs so incredibly much better.

Comment

Smoothie, you should spend time writing tech manuals, you won't have time to ride...I'll go 100 for the RGS.

Comment

Working...
                      X