Clutch cable question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable question...

I've had my 850 a few months now and the cable has broken twice. It broke up near the top of the bars at then end.

It is probably the clutch cable perch/guide itself. Examine the broken cable and you should see fraying before or after the break itself. The round hole the cable feeds through, becomes ovoid over time. Let's see if somebody else chimes in as well.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

was it an OEM cable ?? Mine has a plastic collar around the ball end. I would probably change the lever too!

Comment

The nipple on the end of the cable should be able to swivel freely in the clutch lever hole. If the nipple jams in the lever then the wire has to take up the movement, and the slight flexing work hardens the metal. Mostly they break as the wire enters the nipple for this reason.

The nipple should have a plastic sleeve around it as a bearing, and when you fit it it needs a smear of moly grease to keep it moving. Make sure the nipple is not a jam fit into the lever as well. And also make sure the lever slot is not wearing on the cable, the nipple should sit central with the wire not rubbing the lever metal.

Kim

Comment

Working...
        X