Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork oil and quantity for n '84 GS750ES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil and quantity for n '84 GS750ES?

Hi folks,

Still waiting for my manual, so could some kind soul with a service manual tell me the fork oil grade and quantity for a GS750ES, 1984 vintage?

Cheers!

I'm not around my manual right now but I just looked this up yesterday so:

I'm 90% sure it calls for #10 fork oil, but if you search here you'll see people have a lot of opinions on that.

Volume is 308ml the book also gives a spec for distance from the top which is what I used, but that only works if the forks are off the bike.

I made a simple jig with a wire hook and vinyl tube that I could hang into the fork leg and have the bottom of the tube at the spec distance from the top then I just filled it to just past the tube aand drew it back out to get the right amount/distance.

Good luck!
    /\/\ac

Comment

Thanks for that... I did the obvious thing and called the local Suzuki agent. After much consultation with ancient data books, the guy told me it should be 230ml.

230... 308... hmmm!

Well I guess I can just add 230, if that doesn't work, I guess I could up it to 308.

I wonder if the difference is to take account of trapped fluid in the anti-dive system? I have just completely disassembled my forks to replace the seals, so they are currently completely empty of oil.

Any other ideas...?

Comment

This is from the factory manual, for what its worth.

Fork Oil
        - For the fork oil #10
        - Capacity 308ml or 10.4 US oz.

Fork Oil Level (which is the only thing I really paid attention to
        -
        "Note: When adjusting the fork oil level, remove the fork springs and compress the inner fork tube fully"
        - Use special tool 09943-74111 (which I used my wire and tube fixture for)
        - Set the height at 170mm or 6.7in from the top of the compressed inner fork tube.

This is from my '84-85 GS750ES GS700ES factory manual. I'm not saying it can't be wrong, just that that is what it says!

/\/\ac

Comment

Well I'm happy to go with 308ml. You can always take some out! I put 230 in last night, plus a 20ml spacer to up the preload a bit. I noticed that the springs are progressive - are the originals progressive as well? I assume they aren't.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Simon

Comment

Working...
          X