Starter Motor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Motor questions

1982 GS1100GLZ. Ok, so I tried for a ride yesterday and after a couple of cranks, the starter motor stopped. Trouble shot it down to the starter, so out it came. Not pretty.
    Pulled it apart and found that the brushes were pretty much gone. So, here's my questions. The armature looks worn (commutator) so I think I'll have to take it to a starter shop to see if they can clean it up. Sound OK?
    Next, has anyone rebuilt their starter and if so, it looks like I have to get the terminal brush set and the holder brush set. Has anyone bought these from the dealer or is there a better place to go. I see on bike bandit, they have both parts for 30.09 and 17.37 respectively. Oh yes, and I'll get a new oring for the snoot.
    Just wanted some feedback on what I should look out for. Thanks in advance.
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

check & overhaul procedure

When I was repairing my starter, I used this as a reference:

and all worked out well. It tells how to check the armature, and refresh the armature.

Comment

check & overhaul procedure

When I was repairing my starter, I used this as a reference:

and all worked out well. It tells how to check the armature, and refresh where the brushes rub on the armature if needed.

Comment

New brushes from Stockers.com. and I cleaned up the connections with some metal polish and she works great now.

Comment

Thanks Brian. I went to their website. I'll call them today. I'm interested in possibly just getting a remanufactured starter. By the time I clean up the commutator and get all the rebuild parts, I may just opt for one already done from them. I also purchased awhile back, a starter off ebay for an 850, but now realize that although it's physically the same, it's a two brush and not a four brush starter. Because they're big into rebuilding, I'll see if they'll credit me something for the 850 starter. It works fine, just I can't use it.
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Brian, just an update. I called Elwood Stocker and ordered a reman starter. Painless. Plus, this is a total rebuild with new bearings, seals, shims and oring. And to top it off, there's a 10% discount till the end of the year and he's taking both my core and the spare 850 starter. AND, free shipping both ways. Can't beat that. Thanks again for the head's up.
            I also mentioned that I was turned onto them from our website.
            2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

FYI the two brush & four brush starters can be interchanged

Comment

I know physically they're identical, 9 tooth CCW rotation, but the 850 starter says .5kW on it and the 1100 starter shows .6kW.
                I also looked up the starter on bike bandit and from 79-83, they used the same starter (2 brush) on the 850's but the part number was different for the 1100's. Possibly the 4 brush starter will hand out a little more torque?
                Anyway, I'm getting more for the 850 starter in credit than I bought it for, so the whole thing will cost me around 90 dollars. The complete rebuild kit was around 50 dollars, So this way, I'm getting a good piece with a warranty.
                2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Working...
                X