What Next '79 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Next '79 GS550

The bike ran when it was put away 3 years ago. I was running down the freeway and the rear tire blew out on me. I put the bike in the backyard and have not touched it sense.

Carbs are rebuilt and back on bike. Timing is set.

When I kick it over I can get it to run for only seconds and then it dies. Any throttle and it dies. What do I need to do?

Jason

You need to get it to idle.

Bowl's getting fuel?

Plugs getting spark?

Set your pilot mixture screws and do a bench sync.

Search old postings for details.

Comment

Did the bench sync, got fuel in all the bowls, and I am getting spark to all cylinders.

I did notice though that 2&3 pipes are not waming up. I double checked the timming and it looks fine. What am I missing?

Comment

Drop the bowls and make sure the mains are clean. Check for spark at all plugs.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

When I was in this spot I tried a couple of things. Run it long enough to get things happening. It should go smooth but doesn't always. If you have some cool pipes it sounds like your not firing. I go along with the consensus and see if the plugs are wet. I have consistently had to replace boot o-rings after a long time sitting. You may want to spray your boots with WD-40 when it is running and see if it changes anything.

Hang in there

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog
            I did notice though that 2&3 pipes are not waming up. I double checked the timming and it looks fine. What am I missing?
            Swap the condensors from 1&4 and 2&3 and see what pipes heat up afterwards. I had the same problem with my 79 GS550L and found out it was the condensor that went bad. If you swap them and 1&4 won't get hot then you know to change the condensors out. You'll still get spark, but not enough to fire the cylinders.

Bill

Comment

Hey... was it the condensors? bc I have the same bike and I'm having the same exact problem.

Comment

It is not the condensor. I am getting spark at all 4 plugs. I just could not get it to fire on them all. I readusted the timing and refired the bike sprayed starter fluid in the airbox and got all 4 cylinders to run.

I am going to pull carbs back off the bike and make sure everything is clean. It will not idle right and any throtle that I give the bike it will die.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by bexabarr
                  Hey... was it the condensors? bc I have the same bike and I'm having the same exact problem.
                  It was the condensor on mine. Just try swapping them from side to side and see if the other pipes get hot instead.

Bill

Comment

wow, I'm having the same exact problem. I think that you are right, it is probably time to pull out the carbs (again ).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog
                      It is not the condensor. I am getting spark at all 4 plugs. I just could not get it to fire on them all. I readusted the timing and refired the bike sprayed starter fluid in the airbox and got all 4 cylinders to run.

I am going to pull carbs back off the bike and make sure everything is clean. It will not idle right and any throtle that I give the bike it will die.

Jason
                      Just a FYI, but I was getting spark on all 4 plugs also. Thats why I had a hard time figuring it out. It doesn't hurt to change the condensors and try it. Alot cheaper and quicker also.

Bill

Comment

I switched the condensors (just bought new poits), I actually interchanged the coils so I don't think that it is the condesers (but you never know). I think that it has to be a carb problem... VM carbs are a pain! (or maybe it is my inexperience--> more likely ) Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                        X