mysterious engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mysterious engine noise

I winterized (first time since I bought the bike in the spring) my 82 850G on Saturday...among other things I put stabilizer in the tank. I ran it for a few minutes to get the treated fuel through the carbs and after about 3 minutes of idling, the cam chain "rattle" that I know and have loved all summer disappeared and the engine knocked a couple times before I hit the kill switch.

I haven't started it back up for fear that the knock is serious and I didn't have the time to look any deeper into the cause of the sound.

Any thoughts? Is this normal?

Well, I can tell you it's not the stabilizer. I've been using Stabil for years.
    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

I'm assuming the the rattle was always there but not the knock?
      Since you say the rattle seemed to go away and was replaced by the knock makes me think it is tensioner related.
      At the very least before starting again, I would break out the manual and perform the tensioner advance action check. If ANY doubt as to smooth operation, I would remove and inspect/service the tensioner and then again the procedure. Be aware that the seal and o-rings can leak after being disturbed.
      For this reason I suggest ordering the gasket, the seal and the two o-rings inside. I'm sure the part numbers are available if you do a search here. I've provided them before.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Cam chain tensioner pics, part numbers, instructions, etc,:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion and direction...I'll let you all know how it works out.

Comment

we need more info

to be honest, you didnt give enough information, ok, so the engine started knocking when it was tiching over, but did it do it if you revved it, and did the knock go away if you pulled the clutch in? have you riden it, did the noise stay or go? before you start stripping anything down, you really need to diagnose what the noise is and try to eliminate the usual suspects, gs motor, knocking on tickover, i would first look at rattly clutch basket, in which case balance the cabs to quieten it down, also look at the generator rotor, ive seen more than one work loose in m time.

Comment

Working...
            X