No announcement yet.

New petcock..... :?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon, I had to pull my petcock today to check for a diaphragm leak. Just for kicks, I rotated the vacuum side plate (4 screws) different directions and it works fine whereever it's pointed. Mine actually originally pointed straight backwards, I rotated it straight down to make for a better line up with the vacuum line from the carb. Works fine. Simply open the plate slowly and make sure no springs fly out and get lost during the rearrangement. G'luck

Comment

That's what I thought.

Thanks Dave.

Comment

I don't know what the confusion is here. :?
        The smaller brass fitting is for the vacuum and is at the rear of the diaphragm chamber. The larger fitting at the bottom is the fuel line. Rotate the diaphragm chamber plate 90 degrees and everything will be pointing in the correct direction. Duaneage got it right from the start.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: New petcock

Remove the four screws on the vac' side cover rotate the cover 90 degrees or until it matches your old unit. Inside the cover there is only the diaphragm that also acts as the gasket. This is "pulled" off it's seat by the vacuum when the motor starts, allowing gas to flow to the carbs'.
          I did exactly the same about six months ago.
          Gerry

Comment

Yea, I would rotate it but they have it stuck on there with some kind of sealant to enhance the sealing powers. I'm afraid the diaphragm will end up ripped or not working if I try turning it.

I will see how it works like this. Afterall it came the same way the diagram said it would so I don't see why it wouldn't.

-Simon

Comment

just make sure your vacuum hose isn't kinked anywhere and I don't see what it would hurt, as long as it fits on?

Comment

Fits fine. No leaks, dumped 2 gallons of gas in there. Still no leaks.

We'll see how it does when I get the new set o carbs

Comment

Working...
                X