Got it to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it to run

Sorry for all the post latley just trying to figure this thing out. I do not know anyone around here to help me with this thing so I have to keep bugging you guys. I have been thru the search feature and have not been able to find my same situation.

I got the bike to run after the carb rebuild setting the points and adjusting the timming.

I had a problem getting it to run on all four cylinders but i shoot it with some starter fluid and they all took off.

I can not get the bike to run with the choke off and it will die if I give it any throttle. There is almost no vaccum on the merc stick. I did the bench sync and felt pretty good with it.

I have the screw on the bottom set to 1 turn out and the one on the top side of the carb to 1 1/4 turns out.

What do you guys think?

Jason

massive air leaks on the four intake rubber boots. Get it running, leave the choke on so it does not die and spray wd-40 or carb cleaner spray around the rubber boots. If it changes engine speed you need either new boots, o-rings or both.

Did you properly tighten all of the boot clamps?

OR

you do have the airbox in and everything tight, right?

Make sure the airfilter is in and the airbox is closed up. Runnign them open without an air filter will also cause problems because these carbs depend on air pressure more than a car carb does. The carbs have vacuum controlled slides that are designed to work with air filters in place.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Sounds like fuel starvation. Among other things, low vacuum would cause fuel starvation.
      What do you mean almost no vacuum? How many inches of mercury are you seeing? How many lines up the gauge if that helps? At what approx' rpm are we talking? Around 1,100/typical idle? Does the vacuum tool have a correct amount of mercury in it?
      If you removed the manifolds to clean or whatever, did you replace the o-rings?
      I'm not sure what exactly has been done because you're making multiple topics. Makes it hard to keep track. I just noticed you made another topic that says two cylinders seem cold/not firing? Was that fixed?
      One turn out on the pilot fuel screws may be OK for a stock intake/exhaust. Pods would need to be around 1 1/2 turns.
      The side air screws are set for highest rpm, but if it won't run, try 1 3/4 to start. This will get you closer but the screw settings aren't the reason it's not starting.
      Duaneage, I was in mid-message while you sent yours. He must be talking about the '79 550, from his carb screw question. VM carbs.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have new intake boot o-rinrs in. No leaking around them. I am trying to run it without the air cleaner though because the filter is shot.

I got the other 2 cylinders firing when I sprayed starter fluid in the air box. After that all cylinders were firing. (pipes heating up =)

I am only drawing about 2 lines on the vacumm stick. All carbs about the same.

The bike is running about 1200RPMS with the choke on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog
          I am trying to run it without the air cleaner though because the filter is shot.

get an air cleaner on it and troubleshoot from there. Check also fuel flow. How are the fuel bowl levels? Did you open the carbs?
          Do you have the idle screw set up high enough to idle the engine? Sometimes these are turn down so low that the throttle plates close right up.

Try and drain each fuel bowl into a spraypaint can cap and see it the same amount of fuel comes out of each carb. This is a way to see if they have the same fuel level or even gas at all, before opening the bowls.

Don't give up you are so close and we are here to help.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I will get an air cleaner tonight and drain the carb bowl to double check the levels in them.

Thanks

Jason

Comment

have the exact same problem

Hey, i have the exact same problem with a GS650 i just picked up, problem is, i have the air box but the cleaner and the other half of the air box are missing. Could this be why it revs like crazy when the choke is on (while missing badly) and then wants to die when i give it gas (most of the time)?? Help pleeeese. If all else fails i'm gonna have to give it up.
              --Richie

Comment

Richie....you need the filter in place and a sealed airbox.

Comment

Working...
                X