Sealing cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing cases

What should I use to seal my cases? That blue Permatex stuff or what? Somebody should make a list of what product should be used in each area of the motor, cases, valve cover, etc

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Re: Sealing cases

Originally posted by nastyjones
    What should I use to seal my cases? That blue Permatex stuff or what? Somebody should make a list of what product should be used in each area of the motor, cases, valve cover, etc

Paul
    Yamabond works for me on the cases. Try not to use too much silicone. Its will plug up the oil holes unless you just put it on your fingers and kinda rub the the gasket and get a real light coat.

(-:

JGordon

Comment

Use new gaskets. That's all you need.

DO NOT apply sealer or silicone goop if you can help it.

If you have a really bunged up part, a VERY thin see-through coat applied ONLY to the affected area can help. You can also use very, very small amounts of Hylomar non-hardening sealer.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My main question concerns the cases, though. There is no gasket there.

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

That Yamabond is what has been suggested to me before for the cases. No gasket between the case halfs folks.

I disagree with not using silicone on the top end gaskets. Suzuki says to use it, so I use it. The manual is my bible, the engineers my gods. Do not anger the gods.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Stay away from that blue permatex crap for the cases. Use '3-bond', same kinda stuff as 'yamabond'. 3-Bond you should be able to get at most parts stores, yamabond you can get at your local yamaha dealer.
            For a sealant on the gaskets I use Loctite 515. (grape jelly some call it) Works real good.

Comment

I have always used Smerf Snot and not had a problem.

Comment

Has anyone used "motoseal" by Permatex. It's supposed to be for specifically for sealing motorcycle crankcases.

Comment

Re: Sealing cases

Originally posted by nastyjones

Paul
                  I have always used a product called Threebond 1104 liquid gasket. It's a "semi-drying" formula that has been suggested to me by severall top motorcycle technictions. It's identicle to Yamabond (I've been told it's exactly the same sealant). I've used it on 2 and 4 stroke crankcases. Smear a THIN bead across one of the mating surfaces, and bolt the cases together, and you are good to go.
                  Rich

Comment

Is it available here in Canada?

Comment

I'm sure that no one wants to hear that a pair of aircraft piston engine case halves are assembled with nothing but a #50 silk thread... trailing around the entire perimeter of the mating surface, and encircling all bolt and dowel holes. (A bottle of prozac for the installer comes in handy afterwards to help stop the finger shake).

Comment

Actually, thats a great tip. Sometimes, things go awry on the road and no gaskets are to be found. For a pinch, and gotta get'er going, I'll remember the thread trick.

Earl

Originally posted by DaveDanger
                        I'm sure that no one wants to hear that a pair of aircraft piston engine case halves are assembled with nothing but a #50 silk thread... trailing around the entire perimeter of the mating surface, and encircling all bolt and dowel holes. (A bottle of prozac for the installer comes in handy afterwards to help stop the finger shake).
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Actually, thats a great tip. Sometimes, things go awry on the road and no gaskets are to be found. For a pinch, and gotta get'er going, I'll remember the thread trick.

Earl

Originally posted by DaveDanger
                          What exactly is "#50 silk thread" ?

Comment

Re sealing cases

I had a problem with a torn gasket after freeing up a stuck clutch. Only thing I had available was Loctite Gasket Eliminator 51580. Had very little choice but to try it on the clutch cover, only done about 100kms since the temporary fix, but no leaks whatsoever. Like most people here say, as little as possible to just cover one side of the mating surfaces. So far so good.
                            Gerry

Comment

Road_Clam, #50 silk thread is a silk thread of a specific diameter. Sometimes referred to as "00" or double-ought. As best I remember, it's about .015" in diameter. Many of the engine overhaul shops are beginning to add a tiny amount of permatex gasket adhesive to one case half to help hold the thread in place while the pieces are assembled, but the thread itself does the work. Silk thread is very strong and keeps it's body structure very well even when torqued in place. I have noted before when disassembling engines that a slight indentation or groove is visible in the mating surfaces from the silk thread being crushed into place.

Comment

Working...
                              X