Embarrassing gas filling question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing gas filling question.

This is embarrassing but hey, its my first bike and I don't know any local riders to ask. I've got the factory manual but not the owners manual.

Whats the proper way to fill the gas tank? (GS750ES/EF) I've been putting it on the centerstand and resting the fuel nozzle on the "hump" in the middle of the tank (inside) and filling to that point, then holding the nozzle about level with the bottom of the...filler neck? The part the cap seals against.

I think my tank is supposed to hold 5+ US Gal but the one time I let it get low enough to switch to RES I was only able to get in about 3gal and change

And what do you do in states that don't have self serve gas? I think NJ is attendant only for example. I don't want some yahoo messing up my tank or setting my bike on fire!

/\/\ac

Mac, I fill my tank to just below the filler neck inside the tank, while the bike is on the side stand. Never had a problem with spillage this way. I have gotten as much as 4.7 into my 5 gallon capacity tank but I had been on the reserve for quite a while. Usually put in around 4 gallons when I swap to reserve and tank up right away. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I don't use the center stand. I put it on the kickstand and have the handle bars all the way right. That straightens the bike up pretty well. As for to when you're actually filling it...I hold the nozzel just inside the tank and watch the fuel as I fill. It's not like a car that has a sheild to keep the gas from spilling out if you overfill. I never wait to get to reserve. I have a 3 gallon tank on mine and I use the tripometer to figure out when I need a fill up. Try filling you tank then going 100 or 150 miles then filling it up again. Figure out your gas milage and pick a fill up mileage from there. Running down to reserve isn't something I ever want to do.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark
        Running down to reserve isn't something I ever want to do.
        Me either but I thought it would be important to know about how far I could go on the main part of the tank. I know my tank is clean and free of rust/dirt so I plan to carry a quart of gas in a nalgene next time (or two) I go out and let it run out on the reserve too so I know how long that will last in an emergency.

If I'm out in the boonies and on Reserve gas I don't want to add to the pucker factor by not having a clue when I'm REALLY going to be out of gas!

Thanks for the input guys! Suzy thanks you too.
        /\/\ac

Comment

In NJ most filling stations will allow you to fill your own tank on a bike. But my suggestion is to not ride your bike through NJ at all...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

This sounds like a great plan in theory, but in real life my mileage varies so much (in town versus highway) that if I hit reserve I pull into the next gas station to fill up.
            Me either but I thought it would be important to know about how far I could go on the main part of the tank. I know my tank is clean and free of rust/dirt so I plan to carry a quart of gas in a nalgene next time (or two) I go out and let it run out on the reserve too so I know how long that will last in an emergency.

If I'm out in the boonies and on Reserve gas I don't want to add to the pucker factor by not having a clue when I'm REALLY going to be out of gas!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              In NJ most filling stations will allow you to fill your own tank on a bike. But my suggestion is to not ride your bike through NJ at all...
              New Jersey won't fill your tank on a bike. They let you do it since I heard people used to complain that they spilled gas on the tank.
              I rode my 79 GS550L down to Wildwood Crest/Cape May this past summer with my daughter on the back. Scariest part was going down the Shurkill (Schulkill) Expressway in Pa. Doing 70-75 when they decided to cut up the road for a 5 mile stretch. You hit that straight-cut area and it feels like the bike is "floating" all over the road. Went from 75 down to 50 in a matter of seconds. Scared the HELL out of me.

Bill

Comment

Oregon is the other state where there's no self-service gas (don't get me started ) but on the bike they let you do it. Most of them are good about making sure there are no drips in the nozzle and some will hand you a rag or paper towel so you're ready if it drips or splashes.

As far as filling it. I stay on the bike and put the nozzle just inside the opening pointing to the left, then I watch it carefully. I stop when it is just at or below the filler neck. I usually go to a Shell station since their pumps are easier to control - you can make it flow very slowly. Some stations (Amoco) it's either off or flowing full force and it's impossible to fill without splashing...

Comment

refuel

Just a added note I always stand up wind from the filling process so I dont breath that nasty stuff

Comment

Re: refuel

Originally posted by Buffalo Breath
                    Just a added note I always stand up wind from the filling process so I dont breath that nasty stuff
                    I think thats the best part of filling up!! 8O 8O 8O :roll:

Bill

Comment

I fill the bike on the sidestand. The level is just above the bottom of the filler collar on the down side and just under the collar on the up side. If I fill completely over the bottom of the collar cylinder all around I will sometimes get gas running out from under the cap and spilling across the tank after I start up. I realize that is because my venting is blocked, probably from when I had the tank kreemed. I need to fix it, but it it is no problem if I don't overfill.

I run on reserve a lot, and you should too. For one thing if you wait until you absolutely need the reserve, you may find out you don't have one. Happened to me once on a I bike I just bought and took off on a long trip with. Reserve is just an opening closer to the bottom of the tank than the main opening. That reserve opening over time can get partially or completely clogged with the crud that accumulates in the bottom of the tank. Using the reserve opening often helps to keep it clear.

At least once take your bike out with a gallon of gas strapped to it an run it dry. Note the exact number of miles at the time you go on reserve. Then see what it is when you are completely out. It is really good to know how many miles you actually have. It will give you a benchmark. At some point if you do any serious travelling you are going to find yourself sweating out the location of the next gas station. You will probably be surprised at how many miles you actually have.

If you run bone dry, lean the bike over as far as you can to the left side; or unsecure the tank and tilt it that way. There are a few miles of otherwise unused gas sitting on the right side of the tank when the left side (where the petcock is) is empty.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I ran out once 1/2 mile from a gas station. Got some exercise that day wheeling it down the road.
                        I try to avoid buying gasoline in the Democratic Peoples Republic of New Jersey because any state that thinks you can't be trusted to pump your own gas does not trust you at all.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                          I ran out once 1/2 mile from a gas station. Got some exercise that day wheeling it down the road.
                          I try to avoid buying gasoline in the Democratic Peoples Republic of New Jersey because any state that thinks you can't be trusted to pump your own gas does not trust you at all.
                          Ha! When I moved my parts bike from storage to my house I pushed it a mile and a half down the road...didn't realize how sticky those old wheel bearings were until I pulled them! 8O

/\/\ac

Comment

You should run on reserve often and here is why. Any droplets of water that has either accommulated or been picked up from the station will go to the bottom of the tank. If you run on reserve allot these little droplets will go to the carbs as small droplets and past right thru the main jets. If you don't use reserve they will collect on the bottom of the tank and cause rust in the whole tank and also when you try to use reserve they will go to the carbs as large droplets and possibily cause missing or complete shut down. After you fill up each time you should remember to use reserve for the first couple of miles. Just in case you have picked up any some amounts of moisture. Then remember to turn the petcock back to the ON position.

Comment

Just thought I'd share something from my past experiences, those of you who are against using the reserve should consider turning it on reserve when running every once in a while to make sure nothing gets clogged up.

The one time I really needed reserve, I hadn't used it in a long time, and it wouldn't let fuel flow!

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X