click/clunk when coasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

click/clunk when coasting?

Yesterday I noticed a kind of click/clunk when coasting down in or out of gear, clutch in or out. At around 25mph it comes a little more than once a second. I can hear a little noise and feel it...it seems like I can feel it more in the seat/frame than in the grips.

I'm thinking its the chain and I'm going to replace it today to be on the safe side. I'm using the o-ring chain off the parts bike now which had some stiff links. I cleaned it up and thought I'd worked out the stiffness but I guess maybe not, it loosend up enough to readjust in 150mi or so and I noticed the sound for the first time after adjusting it.

Does this sound like chain noise? I'll post back this afternoon if the chain takes care of it.

/\/\ac

If it's the chain, you'll also feel it in the foot pegs and rear brake pedal. The easiest way to check is to put the bike on the center stand and slowly rotate the wheel. As the chain comes off the rear sprocket you can typically see where the kinks are.

Brad tt

Comment

Re: click/clunk when coasting?

Originally posted by Macmatic
      Yesterday I noticed a kind of click/clunk when coasting down in or out of gear, clutch in or out. At around 25mph it comes a little more than once a second. I can hear a little noise and feel it...it seems like I can feel it more in the seat/frame than in the grips.

I'm thinking its the chain and I'm going to replace it today to be on the safe side. I'm using the o-ring chain off the parts bike now which had some stiff links. I cleaned it up and thought I'd worked out the stiffness but I guess maybe not, it loosend up enough to readjust in 150mi or so and I noticed the sound for the first time after adjusting it.

Does this sound like chain noise? I'll post back this afternoon if the chain takes care of it.

/\/\ac
      Had the same problem earlier this year. First time in 20+ years I set the chain too tight after cleaning. You can watch it bind up if you remove primary chain guard with the bike up on centerstand running the back wheel. Try adjusting the chain a little with a little more slack.

Comment

Originally posted by retrex

Had the same problem earlier this year. First time in 20+ years I set the chain too tight after cleaning. You can watch it bind up if you remove primary chain guard with the bike up on centerstand running the back wheel. Try adjusting the chain a little with a little more slack.
        I just read in another thread that the chain gets tighter when off the centerstand! I had no idea... I'll have to check that before I pull the old chain. I'm going to swap it out anyway.

/\/\ac

Comment

I haven't seen this documented here on in Clymer so I'll ask:

when checking slack in the chain, do you do it on the center stand or off?

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT
            I haven't seen this documented here on in Clymer so I'll ask:

when checking slack in the chain, do you do it on the center stand or off?
            Hee Hee. This could be as good as an Oil thread.

Some say Centerstand, some say not. Some say have some one of your weight sit on the bike and hold it up while you check it.

You are supposed to check it at it's tightest, and that is kinda hard to do if it's NOT on the centerstand. I'm at work, manual is at home, but I believe my '83 750E Factory Manual states ON the center stand.
            Also, my ZZR manual states ON the centerstand as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
              You are supposed to check it at it's tightest, and that is kinda hard to do if it's NOT on the centerstand. I'm at work, manual is at home, but I believe my '83 750E Factory Manual states ON the center stand.
              Also, my ZZR manual states ON the centerstand as well.
              My bike came from Canada...must be metric or something because my chain gets tighter OFF the centerstand.

If it normal for the chain to lightly rub the rubber swing arm protector when the bike is on the stand? Mine does but I don't THINK it hits when I'm on it....next time I'm riding I'll have to stick my fingers in there and see.... 8O

In other news I just came back from putting 100 rainy miles on the bike with the new o-ring chain....between that and the Hayabusa cans I have to give it a twist now and then to make sure its still running! :twisted:

All the mystery noises I mentioned before are gone and it feels smoother overall. One thing I've noticed before and forgot to mention is a ratchety feeling in very low speed turns...picking up speed.

For example doing a u-turn from the right shoulder I feel 2-3 little "bumps" as I'm in the first 1/3-1/2 of the turn when the bars are turned the most.

/\/\ac

Comment

notchy

do the head breaings feel notchy when you rotate the handle bars, and do the handle bars want to settle in a particular spot?if so you need new head brearings also tap on the front caliper to release it from any drag with a piece of wood and then rotate the front wheel and see if you feel and thing in the bars while it is rotateing, if so may need new wheel bearings, your chain on any swing arm bike will be its tightest when the swing arm axle is paralell with the counter shaft, some bikes say to adjust on the center stand because they give a spec to adjust to so the chain will not be over tight when it reachs the max point

Comment

/\/\ac
                  Sounds like you have a partially siezed chain. A few siezed links will cause a chatter type noise and shudder. I never go by mfg's suggested specs when adjusting a chain. I rig up a system to rachet down on the upper frame to swingarm and get the swingarm prefectly parallel with the ground. This is the point where the chain is stretched to it's max from swingarm pivot. Now simply adjust the chain so it has about 1/2" of up and down movement. This method is not so critical with bikes that only have about 3" od suspension travel as it is with bikes that have 6" of travel, but it gives you an idea about how important correct chain tension is. I have heard of guys breaking engine cases near the c/s input shaft from chains being too tight. Remember it's always FAR better to have a slightly loose chain, than one thats too tight.
                  Rich

Comment

My bike came from Canada...must be metric or something because my chain gets tighter OFF the centerstand.
                    /\/\ac
                    Captain, you canna change the laws of physics, anitmatter cannot be mixed cold. 8O Draw a picture of the relationship between when primary sprocket, swingarm pivot point and rear sprocket under load and when it is not (up on center stand) and you'll see it is not possible for the top part of the chain to get tighter when off the centerstand than when on it. Except in Canada, on a Thursday

Comment

Working...
                    X