Trasmission Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trasmission Woes

I've noticed that the Katana will jump out of second gear lately. It doesn't happen all the time, mostley under hard acceleration. I've done some searching and all the signs point to a bad shifter drum or worn shifter forks. Th bike only has 16,000 miles on it, I got it with less than 10,000 last year. I'm looking for some suggestions here. Money is a little tight right now, but I also don't like to skrimp when it comes to the Katana.

I understand that this happens with these bikes sometimes, one of the few weak point of the GS. Your going to have to split the cases to get it (FWIHBT).

Good news is I understand it isn't an expensive part, just a real Hillary to get to. At least it's winter and you have 4 months to complete it.

I have no experience replacing the part ( I think your right about the fork or the dog that engages it) but another member had a similar problem and that was it. PM Earlfor, he probably knows right off what it is and how much it's gonna cost.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If it only does it under power I would guess worn engaugement dogs on 2th gear

Comment

2nd

Sq-D be right the doggies are toast, you can under cut the gears but I would replace anything that looks worn once your in the gear box, and any detent spring should be replaced worn or not

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I don't have a lot of experience with transmissions, at least motorcycle tranmissions. I guess I'll get the bike up on the stand and get the motor out of the frame and split the case. There goes the idea of riding this winter.

Comment

Just remember you can split the case by turning it upside down & just removing the lower case, & the clutch of course,

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              Just remember you can split the case by turning it upside down & just removing the lower case, & the clutch of course,
              That much I do know, but thanks for the advice anyway.

Comment

I was talking to one of the guys that works at the Dojo where my kids go to Karate. He has a little motorcycle/machine shop about 1/4 mile from my house. I asked him where to get the machine work done if I need to get second gear under cut, he said his dad has done lots of them in their machine shop, his rates are reasonable too.

Now all I have to do is get my buddies 600 katana off my motocycle table, so I can get the real Katana up there.

Comment

Working...
                X