oil drip screw stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil drip screw stuck

i can't get my oil drip screw off so i can't drain the oil to change my stator, anyone have any ideas, ive tried everything

Why won't it come out, is the head stripped? try a pipe wrench

Comment

Did you try some heat around the plug? Use a propane torch or if you're daring try oxy acet with a small flame but don't concentrate it right on the case as this may melt the aluminum. Worst comes to worst, you'll have to drop the case and get the plug out after on a work bench. Or get the best penetrating oil you can get and soak it down for a day or 2.

Jon Kram

81 GS750 and proud of it!!

Comment

whats a pipe wrench? is it a torque bar?

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
          whats a pipe wrench? is it a torque bar?
          He means a plumber's wrench or monkey wrench.I don't think there's enough room to bite with one but I could be wrong.

Jon Kram

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
            Did you try some heat around the plug? Use a propane torch or if you're daring try oxy acet with a small flame but don't concentrate it right on the case as this may melt the aluminum. Worst comes to worst, you'll have to drop the case and get the plug out after on a work bench. Or get the best penetrating oil you can get and soak it down for a day or 2.

Jon Kram

that would a be a bitch considering 1 i dont have a work bench lol and 2 i have a case big enuff to dump all the oil into

Comment

I remember Nick saying you can drain your oil by removing the oil filter. You'll just have to park on a slope so that the front of the bike is pointing down.

Steve

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you. A box end wrench that fits and try giving the other end a belt with a heavy hammer might shock it loose. Or if you have a long power bar or a ratchet and 6 point socket and give it a wack. a steady pull on a long bar over the end of the ratchet has worked for me in the past also.

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

You don't have to drain your oil to change out your stator if you have a center stand. Here's what I do... place about 3/4" block under the left leg of the center stand tilting your bike away from the stator. There will be a slight amount of residual oil left in the cover, but not enough to worry about. A slight rapping on the end of a box end wrench with a hammer should loosen the bolt though...be sure you're trying to turn the bolt the correct direction. I have mistakenly tightened the drain plug when I thought I was loosening it.

Comment

Working...
                  X