Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

To make a long story short, my son got a motorcycle this summer and convinced to drag my 1980 GS550E out of 20 years of storage and get it running.

I disassembled the carbs totally and soaked them in carb cleaner. Blew out all the passages, etc. Got the 0-Ring kit from the fellow here and a set of K&L carb kits.

Reassembled everything and once started the bike idles and runs fine. But, here is the problem. When I go to start it (about 50 degrees), it just hits and hits and hits with the starter running but won't take off. No choke by the way. If I give it any choke it immediately quits hitting. However, sometimes if I pull the choke is out all the way, it will hit a few times and then nothing more. After this, the only way to get it to hit is to remove any choke, let it sit a while and start over.

Here is the kicker, to get it to start, I can pour a little gas in the airbox and it will go ahead and idle on its own, rough but smoothes out as it warms up.

Got me stumped. Any ideas?

Carb Adjust

I did the same thing with my 82 GS850. I did the soak, o-ring kit etc.. the pilot screw plugs were already drilled out so I set them 2 1/2 turns out according to the manual. I also did a static balance where I used a depth guage and set the throttle plates at the exact same position as #3 carb which does not have an adjustment. This made a big change in the idling compared to before I did this. I also didn't get a chance to balance my carbs yet as I don't have balancer but this is a must either way.
    At first my bike wouldn't run at all so I started making adjustments on the pilot screws which are the small screws that normally have a plug installed by the factory preventing any adjustment. If yours are accessable I would start at 2 1/2 turns and if it doesn't turn over start with 1/4 -1/2 turns counter clockwise, when I did this around 3 turns the bike fired right over and that gave me enough to make minor adjustments trying to smooth it out. Make sure you have no air leaks, once you get it running spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifolds and if it surges you have a leak and the o-rings on the manifolds need replacing, the cost about $5 for the 4 o-rings. This should be done regardless unless you are positive there are no leaks, it is a small cost with signifigant differences if there was a leak. I would initially try making small changes to the pilot screws and if you haven't I would make sure the throttle plates are as close to each other in the closed position as possible. this is a good place to start...
    Bill

Comment

I put in new O-rings and new carb boots to the manifold from the Suzuki dealer.

I haven't tried the WD-40 check, but will try it tonight!

Comment

Ok, I tried the carb cleaner (and wd-40) on the carb boots, but no change whatsoever.

Comment

BRycraft
          I did the same thing with my 82 GS850. I did the soak, o-ring kit etc.. the pilot screw plugs were already drilled out so I set them 2 1/2 turns out according to the manual. I also did a static balance where I used a depth guage and set the throttle plates at the exact same position as #3 carb which does not have an adjustment. This made a big change in the idling compared to before I did this. I also didn't get a chance to balance my carbs yet as I don't have balancer but this is a must either way.

At first my bike wouldn't run at all so I started making adjustments on the pilot screws which are the small screws that normally have a plug installed by the factory preventing any adjustment. If yours are accessable I would start at 2 1/2 turns and if it doesn't turn over start with 1/4 -1/2 turns counter clockwise, when I did this around 3 turns the bike fired right over and that gave me enough to make minor adjustments trying to smooth it out.
          This is pretty much the same procedure I did. I believe the static balance is called 'bench synching". I did do this prior to re-installing the carbs.

The problem with starting occured from the very first time. I was pleased it started hitting right from the first time I turned it over but became frustrated when it wouldn't take off. I finally put a teaspoon of gas in the airbox and it took right off. I just don't want to do this every morning! Plus I have tried it several times during the day and no problem. It seems to occur only after sitting for a long time, like overnight.

Tried it again this morning and the same thing. Playing with the choke after it warmed up this morning also makes me feel something is wrong. It doesn't take much choke and the bike simply dies. No rough running, just dies. Don't know what I could have assembled incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
          X