Honda R/R install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda R/R install

Hi, I just install a honda regulator off a 1980 CX500 onto a 1981 GS850G. I did everything according to all the topics I read in this forum. My voltage at idle is 13.45vdc. AT 5000rpm its 15.6vdc. The regulator is getting warm. Should the voltage be less at 5K rpm? I checked all the connections. Added an extra ground from the regulator to the frame. All the wires are cool from the stator to regulator. If anyone could it would be appreciated. Riley

First check your meter---- with the bike off you should read 12.6 volts
    If you read more than that your meter may not be accurate

Comment

Is the black sense wire hooked up to a switched circuit?

3 yellow => 3 stator wires (any order)
      Green => ground
      Red => battery positive (through fuse)
      Black => SWITCHED positive (any +12v circuit that's only live when the key is on). You'll need to add a pigtail or T connection.

You could just have a bad regulator, too. It happens once in a while. But verify your connections first, and make sure your stator passes the tests.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Charging System/ Voltage Rectifier/Regulator Swap

I replaced the R/R on my 80 1000E with KZ550 one, worked fine. Good idle-charge and max charge(12.7-14.1V). Not hot, even after commute(50 miles). I tried the same on my 81 1100E, hot R/R and red wire. Overcharging too,14.0 @ idle-15.5 @ 4K+ rpm, verified with second DMM. A second R/R did the same. Is there a difference in in the stators or rotors for later bikes? Also, both Ricky stator and Electrex call for different R/R between the 1000DOHC and 1100TSCC!?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          Is the black sense wire hooked up to a switched circuit?

3 yellow => 3 stator wires (any order)
          Green => ground
          Red => battery positive (through fuse)
          Black => SWITCHED positive (any +12v circuit that's only live when the key is on). You'll need to add a pigtail or T connection.

You could just have a bad regulator, too. It happens once in a while. But verify your connections first, and make sure your stator passes the tests.
          The first Honda (Shindengen) regulator I put on mine was bad. :x

Comment

COuld be a bad battery too.. Check the water level and if yuou have a specific gravity tester use it on the battery.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Honda R/R install

Hi, thanks for all the input. I rode the bike for 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph. The regulator is still warm, but the idle voltage is under 13vdc and the voltage at 5k or higher rpm doesn't go past 14.7vdc. I believe the regulator is working correctly, but why is it still very warm? All connections are solid and hooked up correctly. Riley

Comment

Re: Honda R/R install

Originally posted by rcarteraz@hotmail.co
                Hi, thanks for all the input. I rode the bike for 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph. The regulator is still warm, but the idle voltage is under 13vdc and the voltage at 5k or higher rpm doesn't go past 14.7vdc. I believe the regulator is working correctly, but why is it still very warm? All connections are solid and hooked up correctly. Riley
                They all get hot. The design dumps all unused power to ground and all that energy is dissipated in the R/R.

Comment

Your looking at around 200 watts minimum of power, touch a 200 watt lightbulb and see how cool to the touch it is. The Honda Regs have better heat sinks and last longer.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X