Dynatek Ignition Switchover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynatek Ignition Switchover

I have a 1982 GS850GLZ that I am restoring. I am considering replacing what I believe is a weak electrical ignition system. The main choice is the Dynatek 2000 ignition, coils and wires which total about $400 in a kit from Dynatek a savings of about $50 when you purchase the coils seperatly.
    Is this worth doing? Will this increase performance? Is there anything I need to know before make a purchase such as this? I don't want to go as far as changing the exhaust, replacing the airbox, carb jets etc, at least not at this point in time. From what I read this seems to be a common change over and wondered if it really makes a signifigant difference in starting and running? Anyone who did it and didn't notice a difference? Any insight on this subject would be much appreciated.
    Thanks....

I have run both a Dyna 2000 and a Dyna "S" on my 85 1150. There was no difference in performance between them. I think the Dyna 2000 is slightly easier to time, but neither is difficult. I found the Dyna coils (you need the 3 ohm NON CDI) resulted in the bike starting a little easier and idling a little smoother. There was no power increase over stock coils. There also was no difference in gas milage between stock coils and Dyna.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Coils

Can Dyna coils be installed without any other changes to the ignition system on the 850? The wires on the stock coils can't be replaced or so it seems so I was going to switch over, however if the coils will work without the ignition 2000 then that seems the way to go. The ignition is electronic as it is so will it support the new coils providing they are the 3 ohm as what is in there now? The connectors from the ignitor unit (CDI) those will connect to the coils without any problems or will I have to replace the connectors?
      Thanks Bill

Comment

Re: Coils

Originally posted by BRycraft
        Can Dyna coils be installed without any other changes to the ignition system on the 850? The wires on the stock coils can't be replaced or so it seems so I was going to switch over, however if the coils will work without the ignition 2000 then that seems the way to go. The ignition is electronic as it is so will it support the new coils providing they are the 3 ohm as what is in there now? The connectors from the ignitor unit (CDI) those will connect to the coils without any problems or will I have to replace the connectors?
        Thanks Bill
        You can fit the green 3 Ohm Dyna coils on the stock ignition no problem, I have this setup on my Katana along with 9 mm suppressed Mallory cables.
        You will have to use the connectors Dyna provides with the coils.

Comment

I just installed 2.2 coils and I had a set of 7mm plugs wires from my 302 Falcon laying around. They plugged into the coils just fine so I just cut them to length and screwed the caps into them. So far so good.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            I have run both a Dyna 2000 and a Dyna "S" on my 85 1150. There was no difference in performance between them.
            Earl
            For the average bike, this is very much true - where the 2000 has a big advantage is when you require the additional features the 2000 brings - rev-limiter, electronic advance / retard settings, take-off for an electronic tach - the 2000 can even adjust the retard settings based on a boost sensor on the turbo system.

I run the Dyna 2000 on my turbo bike to get the retard settings and the rev-limiter. But on other bikes I own, I wouldn't put a Dyna 2000 on them if they are a fairly stock street bike - it's really overkill.

Comment

Working...
            X