Regulator/rectifier confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/rectifier confusion

Hi. I own a Gs1100g, supposedly a 1983 but it seems to be a bit of a parts bin special. The frame number starts with GU71A and the engine number U701-. I use it on weekends for short trips (with sidecar full of kids) and the battery is maintained by a trickle charger. And iIt had a new stator fitted about 12 months ago.

When it refused to turn over, I pulled the battery out and it was dry. I fitted a new battery and a week later it was dead. 5 of the six cells with visibly warped and discoloured plates and wont hold a charge.

I immediately suspected the R/R and tested it against the 4 step guide in the "Stator Papers" Tested OK against steps 2 & 4 (readings around 0.5V) but the reading was "OL" against steps 1 and 3.

Can someone confirm my suspicion that this is not good?

Also, I've been quoted $AU305 for a new one (ouch!!). Which is a bit over twice the price of one from ElectroSport. Or at least it would be if I could figure out which one is right for my bike. The R/R unit has six wires (three yellow, one red, one green and one black)and except the red wire, all have female bullet connectors.

Thankfully the tests on the stator show that its ok.

Cheers

Steve
    Melbourne
    Australia

Their should be a breakers somewhere in Oz. Get a reg from an 78-80 Honda & wire it into the bike, also buy a new battery. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...opic.php?t=155
    Then dbl check that the charging circuit is working correctly. The reg tests are confusing & don't alway tell the condition of the reg

Comment

Thanks for that.

I'm guessing that an "OL" reading is the same as no reading which would confirm my r/r is shot.

I'd still like to know which part number for either a Rick's or an ElectrSport replacement is right for my particular bike.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

I have a Rick's on my bike as of last year, it's worked great. I didn't charge my battery all riding season!

Comment

I have just purchased a SH232-12 off eBay, should be here next week. Looking forward to getting the bike running again, I'm getting drifting withdrawals!!

Comment

REGULATOR/RECTIFIER CONFUSION

PUT A NEW R/R ON THE BIKE LAST YEAR TOOK THE TRIP TO ASHEVILLE
            FRIED THE BATTERY HAD TO BUY A NEW BATTERY
            GOT HOME SENT THE R/R BACK TO RICKS GOT A NEW R/R
            NOW HAVE TO SEND IT BACK AGAIN THIS TIME UNDERCHARGING
            GETTING FURSTRATED.

GOING TO REPOSITION IT TO THE FRONT OF THE BIKE TO GET MORE AIR TO COOL IT

GARY
            85 GS550L

Comment

Working...
            X