Question about an engine guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about an engine guard

I have a lovely 1981 GS850G.Will a case saver off a 1985 GS1100E fit on it...thanks for you help.. joey

Case Saver

One thing you can try is measuring the distance from the engine mounts. for instance on my bike they are mounted from the front long engine mount bolt that passes thru the front of the motor out each side and then to the single side mounts that are held in place with a bolt and what looks like a cam lobe with threads in it, that is the nut that fits up inside the lower groove of the engine, if that is where yours mount make a measurement of the distance. I believe the ones I have on my 82 came off a 79 as the frames were almost identical. Some of the case savers have a 3 point system that mount to the engine mounts and the frame kinda like a deformed E the middle and bottom of the E mount on the engine mounts and the Top goes to the frame along the side near the exhaust. All you can try it to take a measurement. I am pretty sure clearance won't be a problem, however once mine are in place it is difficult to remove the ignition cover on the right side of the motor.
    Bill

Comment

troutdog, submit a photo of the case saver you have if possible. That may jog someone's memory a bit. I have an engine guard/case saver on my 81 GS850, and would maybe be able to look at what you have and help you with some advice. Then again, mine may be a different aftermarket supplier and they may not look anything similar, but still attach correctly.

Comment

Re: Question about an engine guard

Originally posted by Troutdog
        I have a lovely 1981 GS850G.Will a case saver off a 1985 GS1100E fit on it...thanks for you help.. joey
        You can put socks on a rooster.

Comment

I would rather see a picture of the "1985" GS 1100 E, I don't think I've ever seen one
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
            I would rather see a picture of the "1985" GS 1100 E, I don't think I've ever seen one
            I 2nd that.

Comment

I found one on E-Bay for my 85 GS700es, it took a little while but found a NOS from a shop. I think they had more than one since I was outbid a couple times. Either that or they had friends bidding the price up since I lost the bid on one then was offered it later on at my final bid price. At any rate they are out there and I don't think the frame mount points are the same on the 81's as on the 83 and later. You can do searches on E-bay and save them, then have the searches automatically e-mail you the results. In a few weeks I bet you find one.

Comment

Working...
              X