changing CV-carb needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing CV-carb needles

Bummer.......last night I broke my special-made long, skinny snap-ring pliers that I have used for years to access the needles in my CV-carb slides. Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of snap-ring pliers that actually fit down into the slides?

Surely somebody makes a pair of these. I had a machinist friend make me a pair some 12 years ago but my friend is no longer able. Does anyone have a source??

Thanks for any suggestions or input: David

Re: changing CV-carb needles

Originally posted by dtkid
    Bummer.......last night I broke my special-made long, skinny snap-ring pliers that I have used for years to access the needles in my CV-carb slides. Does anyone know where I can purchase a set of snap-ring pliers that actually fit down into the slides?

Surely somebody makes a pair of these. I had a machinist friend make me a pair some 12 years ago but my friend is no longer able. Does anyone have a source??

Thanks for any suggestions or input: David
    What I did was get a set that was a solid body type and just grind them down until they were narrow enough. Works perfect!

Comment

pliers

There are wire-bending pliers that are perfect for this use. The plier tips have a long round nose, and reach right down there. The mini-ones I got in an electronics plier kit for about $10 work good.

Originally these pliers were designed for making round bends in wire, hence the round tips.

Comment

I'm one carb into my first experience rebuilding the carbs for my 1980 GS850GL, and I ran across the same thing. We didn't have snap-ring pliers that could reach. Ultimately, I just inspected the needle for damage or excessive gunk, saw none, and carried one without disassembling that. I also didn't do anything with the choke plunger assembly, since there was a rubber grommet looking thing on the outside of it.

I'm assuming that some of the "leftover" parts from my K&L carb rebuild kit are pieces to the inside of the slide and that choke plunger. Should I be fine anyway?

I am going to try to find those long nosed pliers, though, since I'd rather clean everything possible. Can't wait to see if this helps with the high-speed miss I experience now.

Randy...

Comment

I think you can get them here:

Mikes XS is the leading supplier of Yamaha XS650 Parts and Vintage Yamaha motorcycle parts. Filters, Chassis, Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Engine products are just some of the items we carry.

Found it:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just use very long, skinny needle nose pliers. Somehow I've ended up with about three pair and they work great.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
            X