Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinch bolt at top of steering stem....how important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinch bolt at top of steering stem....how important?

I just got done with an extensive test ride and I'm looking over the bike for loose nuts, leaks and the like and I found the pinch bolt at the top of the forks MISSING!

This is the bolt closest to the tank at the top of the stem, in the same casting that secures the top of the forks and the bars. This is NOT the steering bearing bolt, but the clamp bolt next to it.

Right now I'm a few hundred miles from my garage and parts, the steering feels OK and I can't feel and movement when I grab the forks and shake them back and forth or side to side. Is it safe to ride a couple of hundred miles with it like this and if I do should I keep checking the steering for play? After looking it over I'm tempted to ride it as is until I can fix it. I THINK the steering stem bearings would have to get totally loose before anything could come apart.

I should note that I noticed this when I was going to look at the steering stem bearings to see if I have the tools to tighen them just a little bit. I've been having a very slight twitch in the bars on highway off ramps and very slow speed turns like u-turns. It isn't severe but its there and I don't want to learn into it more until I track that down.

I'd seen a post from SqdncrLynn about a shake at 35-40 oh so which I also have very mildly suggesting a slight tighening as a possible cure for that and I DID tighten my bearings "just enough" when I set them up. I've also put 1400mi or so on the bike since then.

Eight hours in the saddle today!
    /\/\ac

bolt

REPLACE NOW, dont go past Go Dont collect $200 bucks

Comment

Hope you got AFLAC (quack quack)
      Use a torque wrench and torque properly
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So its going to kill me? Kill me dead? Crap. What does it do anyway? I mean I know it clamps the upper to the stem on the lower but in effect so do the fork tube clamps.

Headed out to the hardware store I guess. I hope it's 8x1.25!

/\/\ac

Comment

Chances are, you could get away with it, but Y'know, it only takes once to break the odds. :-) Considering its an easy fix, there is no reason to risk it.
          I would fix it.

Earl

Originally posted by Macmatic
          So its going to kill me? Kill me dead? Crap. What does it do anyway? I mean I know it clamps the upper to the stem on the lower but in effect so do the fork tube clamps.

Headed out to the hardware store I guess. I hope it's 8x1.25!

/\/\ac
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

As Larry the Cable guy would say "Get ur done!" I'm more worried that something is going on that caused the bolt to vibrate out while you were riding the bike.

Comment

can you just pop another bolt in from a hardware shop? I did that with mine, so it was a nice shiny bolt. then I realized it gets covered up by the plastic piece.

Comment

Working...
              X