Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stator failed but...Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, heeeeeeeeeeee

Originally posted by JRiveraS
    I tried to perform all the voltage tests hoping I did it right.
    To start, I measured the AC voltage on all three cables coming from the alternator as described in the Clymer's manual. As expected, the voltage was too low, from 20-30 depending on the cables. It is supposed to read above 75.
    If you expect a result, sometimes you can unconciously make it happen. This test must be performed at 5,000 RPM on the AC voltage range, and if not, the voltage will be low. In a stator failure, I would expect one or maybe two legs to be underperforming, but all three failing the test is the reason I am double-checking your test method.

Now the problem is replacing the stator. Is there anything else I have to check before I buy a new stator so it won't get fried too? costly little gadget.
    The regulator/rectifier (R/R) is more failure prone than the stator.

The three cables coming from the alternator are white connected to the mentioned W/G, W/Bl and Yellow. Are they supposed to be in a certain order? I checked the three cables coming from the stator not the colored ones.
    There is no required order and the wires can be connected to any color.

Well, I will also need a link to the cheapest but faster delivery site for the stator. Haven't find anything on ebay but for different models, can I use a different year stator? they are cheaper!
    You can get a stator from Electrex World Ltd. for $104.40 delivered. Coming from the U.K., it should take a little longer for delivery, but the same part ordered domestically will cost you $166.00. Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting.

Comment

Working...
    X