Need to replace the exaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace the exaust

Well I had my bike checked by a friend who used to do motorcycle vehicle inspections, looks like there is a small change I will need to replace the pipes. He says some people will pass it, some may not, but I am going to expect the worse in any case.

Now, should it come to replacing the pipes I am not looking for anything special. I saw a set of Mac pipes on bikebandit.com and there seem to be a few good deals for these pipes on eBay every once in a while too. However I have a funny feeling that it will mean re-jetting my carbs, which I am currently not a big fan of right now.

My carbs are jetting perfectly right now, so the question is: Are there a set of pipes I can purchase for my GS1000G (1980) that won't require me to rejet the carbs that anyone knows of?

Current I have GS850GT pipes on there (not really any different than the pipes used for the GS1000GN as I understand), and they are the standard 4-2 pipes. They would appear to be stock, best I can tell.

You have not mentioned whether it is the downpipes or silencers that may not pass inspection. If the downpipes are OK then aftermarket silencers can be installed, and if they are not too free-flowing then no rejetting should be needed. If the downpipes are bad and the silencers OK (usually not the case) then no rejetting should be needed. If the silencers are bad you may be able to get them welded up to pass inspection.

Comment

Ebay is always your best bet along with local junkyards.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I find that exaust pipes rot so easily that I was hoing to avoid getting something used, though I am definatly taking a look at eBay since it seems this is likely the route I will need to go anyway.

Both the down pipes and silencers have to be replaced. The silencers are completely rotted and is beyond welding at this point, the down pipes will likely pass an inspection, for now, but that are in such bad shape that they look incredibly ugly, I may as well replace these as well.

I am not looking at my bike right now, but as I recall they are all 1 piece anyway.

Comment

I replaced my factory exhaust (1980 GS750E), with a Vance and Hines 4 into 2 and am still monkeying with the jetting. I have increased my mains from 112.5 to 120 and I think I still may need to go a size larger. Snow is here for the next several months and riding has taken a back seat to skiing for a while ( I am pro patroller at Grand Targhee Resort).

I do like the look and the sound and you are able to change oil and filter without removing the pipes which I really like .

Scud

Comment

Working...
          X