Bleeding the Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding the Brakes

I recently had to do a minor fix to my front brake fluid resevoir, but I misread my directions and unscrewed the brake line, and now I've got air in the line. How do I clear it? The bike is a 1981 GS450E with the stock fluid resevoir.

There are lots of brake bleed things to be found with a search of the forum, but the most sensible idea to my mind recently was putting a plastic tube over the bleed nipple on the caliper, running it up into the resevoir, squeezing the lever as you pour in sufficient fluid to fill the line and recirculate the fluid, and then just keep pumping until the bubbles work their way out.

Kim

Comment

Re: Bleeding the Brakes

Originally posted by TexaSteve
      I recently had to do a minor fix to my front brake fluid resevoir, but I misread my directions and unscrewed the brake line, and now I've got air in the line. How do I clear it? The bike is a 1981 GS450E with the stock fluid resevoir.
      The easiest method is to get some 1/4" hose (fish tank air hose works good). Attach one end to the bleeder nipple, the other end into a small cup 1/2 full of brake fluid. open the bleeder valve, keep the hose submerged in the fluid, and start working the lever. You will see bubbles in the cup, this is air. Keep filling the resivoir, as it will quickly go down in fluid level. When you see no more air bubbles, close the bleeder and you should be all set. It takes some time to rid the system of air, as only a tiny air bubble will result in a spongy feeling brake. Good luck,
      Rich

Comment

I know its been said before but buy some Speedbleeders, I bought them direct through thier website and installed the new bleeders on my cbr and it took less than 10 minutes to completely bleed both front calipers. My brake lever has never felt so firm before doing it this way. As soon as I get the GS near complete I'll buy some for it, thier only $7 a piece.

Todd

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the help, y'all. I got the brake bled, and it feels even firmer than when I bought it.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and before bleeding at the caliper instead start at the banjo bolt attached to the MC. If you have any way of pumping fluid UP from the caliper to bleed at the MC banjo then do that too. If you start bleeding at the caliper you're going to be sending the air further into your system and it might be harder to get out.

Comment

Working...
            X