81 GS850GLX suspension query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850GLX suspension query

One more question for the knowledgeable group here..
    Even when I set the preload all the way to full stretch on my OEM rear shocks, they seem to squat like scared puppies. Take into consideration that I'm 6'2" and I'm all over 350 Lbs like a bad rash. Does anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket shocks that can at least be dialed up to handle something close to my mass? I'm assuming that there's probably not much capable of being done to increase the capacity of my OEM's ? I'm planning on adding a Windjammer full fairing and side bags somewhere in the near future as well, so I really would like to beef up my suspension a bit.

your best bet is to switch to progressive shocks with heavy duty springs.

Comment

Researching that now.. Googled the term and found a couple of prospects, but they're not very forthcoming with pricing info.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDanger
        Researching that now.. Googled the term and found a couple of prospects, but they're not very forthcoming with pricing info.
        bike bandit has them, (same as regular 850G) starting out at $148.07usd going up to $400.73 for the nice ones, this does not include the springs!

springs are $53.58-- $64.43

the $400+ shocks may come with springs, I am not sure on them, the lower priced shocks don't, that much I am sure of, (got a set on the voyager)

Comment

shocks

Do some measureing then shop for some air shocks, with the right eye-lets, and check for clearance also, air rides are fatter, sounds like you want to tour, there are always some on Flea-bay

Comment

BufflerBreath.. I do enjoy the long rides, but even around town.. I seem to always have a truckload of stuff to tote around. So I need the bags, and I like to be able to keep my eyes open when I ride as well, so the big fairing is a nice addition

Comment

I don't know if the Progressive air shocks will fit your "L" model but putting a new pair of shocks on the bike will make a big difference. Progressive should also have 3 different rated springs to choose from.

Are the shocks bottoming out on you when you ride?

Comment

Originally posted by JayH
                I don't know if the Progressive air shocks will fit your "L" model but putting a new pair of shocks on the bike will make a big difference. Progressive should also have 3 different rated springs to choose from.

Are the shocks bottoming out on you when you ride?
                progressive list a air shock for the regular G, they do not list the L model at all, but I checked and the GL and G use the same shock part number stock.
                I would not be comfortable running the air shocks maxed out on pressure.
                with the spring shocks you can use springs for other bikes if you need more.
                I found two ratings listed for the shocks that fit the 850. 95-140lbs, and 105-150lbs

the 1300 kawasaki voyager uses 13" shocks like the GS but it has 120-170lbs and 140-190lb springs available that will fit the shocks for the GS850.

Comment

Working...
                X