I got the cold starting blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the cold starting blues

Unfortunately, our 81 GS450l has to live outside under a cover. For the past few weeks it's been getting cold (down in the 30's) at night & I haven't been able to ride her. Long story short the bike wouldn't start. It cranks over & over but won't catch. Charged the battery, nope. Changed the plugs, nope. Finally compression started it. It ran ok, a little herky jerky, but ok. After that while the bike was warm it started right up. I let it sit a few hours and same problem. Turns over but won't start. Please help. Happy Thanksgivging.

blenin, I had a similar problem years ago with a particularly cold winter here in Georgia! I believe that the fuel droplets just don't seem to want to atomize at very cold temperatures. I didn't actually solve the problem, but found a way around it that worked. I took a 100 watt light bulb in an old style mechanic's work light (Bulb in a birdcage) and laid it right up in the middle of the cylinders, beneath the carbs. Then covered the bike with a large blanket, then covered the blanket with the regular bike cover. It didn't by any means keep the engine totally warm, but on a cold morning, it was enough to help it start normally.

Comment

cold starting

Eyeball the enricher (choke) to make sure it's opening all the way and staying open. You may have to just tighten the little screw on the bottom of the handlebar control to get it to stay in the open position and not creep half-way shut.

Stored outside in your climate with beaucoup humidity, maybe some moisture is getting into the fuel. Gas line antifreeze might help to dry out the fuel. The anitfreeze is just a little alcohol to absorb the water.

Make sure you have fresh gas, too. Old gas doesn't vaporize as well when it gets colder.

Comment

these bikes are jetted on the lean side from the factory, this oftem makes them tempermental about starting when it is cold.

make sure the choke (inrichners) are working correctly and that the open all the way.
        turning out the bleed screws 1/4-1/2 turn helps alot. changing the pilot jets up one size can make a huge differance.

I am running one size larger pilots and my bike now fires up instantly and warms up pretty quick, it used to not like to start when the temp was below 40f.

Comment

it's a little hard on the plastic, but you can squirt a shot of ether (starter fluid) in the airbox to give it that little gun it needs sometimes... I have to do this just about anytime it's been really cold for 24hrs or more. starts right up all summer for any time under a week not running.

Comment

Re: I got the cold starting blues

Originally posted by blenin
            Unfortunately, our 81 GS450l has to live outside under a cover. For the past few weeks it's been getting cold (down in the 30's) at night & I haven't been able to ride her. Long story short the bike wouldn't start. It cranks over & over but won't catch. Charged the battery, nope. Changed the plugs, nope. Finally compression started it. It ran ok, a little herky jerky, but ok. After that while the bike was warm it started right up. I let it sit a few hours and same problem. Turns over but won't start. Please help. Happy Thanksgivging.
            How long was the bike sitting? If it has been sitting for a week or so turn the petcock to "PRI" to fill the bowls. Let it sit this way for ~30 seconds. Then turn the petcock back to "ON". Hope this helps you out.

Comment

sorry for bumping an old thread but as a Canadian winter rider, I get symptoms like this all the time.
              Motorcycle batteries suffer really bad when chilled. The starter sounds to be running ok, but it actually doesn't have quite enough charge. When this happens to me (every few days), I can usually get her started by pulling the headlight fuse and freeing up some voltage till she's started and warm then replacing it.
              Choke position can be very picky. Slowly move the choke all the way back and forth while holding the starter till you get a reaction. Failing that, if charging the battery indoors doesn't cut it you likely need to throw out your battery, or maybe save it for one last summer.

Hook booster cables to your car battery if you have one to make sure and replace it if this works.

Comment

One word of caution... when you jump your GS motorcycle from another vehicle (car/truck), do NOT have that other vehicle running. Jump from the battery only. Jumping from a running vehicle is one of the most sure ways to be honored with a fresh post about a burnt out regulator/rectifier, or fried stator & charging system.

Comment

Make sure those little ports in the float bowl cover are clear to feed the starter jet (the tiny brass tube that drinks from the port within the float bowl). This had me stumped before, even though I thought the carbs were totally clean.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Check your carb intake boots for leaks, too.

A minor leak in the summertime can be dismissed as the bike just running a little "off", but with the denser air in the winter time, a minor air leak can be more pronounced.

It can also cause problems with starting, since it can be sucking more air than the choke can compensate for. My 750 used to take forever to warm up, until I finally tore the carbs down to search for the problem. It wasn't the intake boots, but rather the rubber o-rings on the fuel rails betwen the carbs that were letting air in. Replaced the o-rings, re-synched the carbs, and problem solved - she warms right up now, even on the coldest days.

(I mention this because you said it ran "herky-jerky" once warm....)

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                    X