My headlights keep blowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My headlights keep blowing

I have recently built a Harris Magnum 2 using a GSX1135EFE as the doner bike. My problem is it keeps blowing the headlights (tail light is LED type don't know if this why it is OK) I have wired the h/light direct to the battery but it still blows. don't know much about electrics so I am ''in the dark'' as to what may be causing this. thought it may be my regulator but was informed that this either works or doesn't and will not have a intermittent fault ?? Can someone please help as with winter here this will seriously hurt my hours spent riding not to mention hurting me if they blow at the wrong moment. I should have mentioned that the lights don't all blow at once but will blow one at a time in no paticulear order. I have two headlghts replacing the one original and it is begining to cost me a small fortune. thanks in advance Joed

Hi Joed,
    I would check the battery voltage while running the bike at hi RPMs, I bet it is the regulator. If it isn't that maybe it is a problem with the quality of the bulbs. Cheap bulbs will blow when you have a bump. Also, if it is the regulator you will blow your ignition module shortly.

Steve

Comment

Constant 13.8 to 13.9 accross the battery at all rev's with lights on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by joed
        Constant 13.8 to 13.9 accross the battery at all rev's with lights on or off.
        That sounds like a good reading...how do you have your headlight mounted? Are there any rubber bushings or gromets to isolate vibrations from the headlight? It may be a vibration issue.

Hap

Comment

That doesn't sound too bad, I had a regulator that let 18 volts through my system... If anything you have a slight undercharge but not enough to worry about. Read the stator papers, you can find a link to it from the garage area I believe.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X