Garage smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage smoke

I have a stupid question (like most of the other ones I?ve posted ). I can?t believe I?m posting this?

I?m tired of having to open the garage door every time I want to turn the motorcycle on (and by the way, I'm not ready to store it yet-)? So I?ve been thinking (happens ever so often)? I want to add an extension from my exhaust pipes to the outside of the house.

I have this long drainage tube lying around; it is pretty flexible and heavy duty, with an 8 inch diameter (may be a bit bigger). I was thinking of developing some sort of extension to the exhaust system, with a combination of this tube and some sheet metal tubing (from the central heating system of the house). The sheet metal would be used for the direct contact with the exhaust pipes (so the plastic tube does not melt) and for the ?y? connection in the middle (2 to 1) - maybe even an internal fan within the tubing to suck the smoke outside.

If I want to fine tune the bike, will this sort of extension have any effect on the performance of the bike? Is this a stupid I idea (be nice)? I just hate having to air out my heated garage (in sub freezing temperatures) every time I run the bike for more than a minute. Suggestions?

We used to do the same thing at the shop my father once owned... Just a simple piece of pipe on the mufflers.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Sounds workable to me. In order for the duct to not affect the bike's running it would have to have zero back pressure. Be careful of those CO fumes. It sounds like it would be difficult to seal completely and you would end up thinking you were safe from CO when you weren't.

Comment

sound like it work I would figure out a way with the fan. It couldn't hurt. Also a CO detector in the garage would help out in case it's not working.

Comment

Go take alook at what the guys have to do emissions testing.
          Sound about the same with a small blower attached.

i would also suggest a CO detector, doesn't hurt and they're cheap enough
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I got some hose length and adapters from www.standardus.com. Same kind of stuff we have in the shop, and it works like a charm. Now I only get that tingly feeling in the tips of my fingers when my machine is running...

Comment

bexabarr, I was by a local Harley distributorship being built this past summer, (dropping off some materials for a brother-in-law plumbing the place), and noted that all the service bays in the entire building had a nice 8" hole through the wall for an extension pipe to draft out exhaust fumes. I didn't see what they were going to have actually connected, but I suspect that a simple two-into-one "Y", and then a single pipe out the wall would be sufficient. I have considered the same thing recently as I've been tweaking my carbs and adjusting things inside my hangar. I already have an old squirrel-cage fan from a residential central air system, and will use that as my "two-into-one" join. One pipe or duct will exit that fan and route outside the wall. I figure to use a high temp rated silicone ducting used for various duties inside the engine compartment of piston engine aircraft... it's called "SCAT" hose. (Can be ordered over the internet) Comes in a variety of diameters jumping in 1/4" increments. It'll easily handle the heat out the back of the tailpipes. a couple of worm-gear type radiator hose clamps to keep it snug and it'll exhaust that system in good shape

E-mail or PM me and I'll provide additional info on the scat hose if you're interested.
              "SCAT" tubing is orange with orange twine, high temp silicone impregnated fiberglass fabric with a temperature range to 550? F. The dash numbers indicate inside diameter in inches. The inside of the hose is supported by a spiral wound spring steel wire... slinky style.

Comment

you need a fan to help evacuate the fumes if you wanna do it right. plumb the hose to a fan that blows outside, and then connect a rubber hose to your outlet(s) and you are good to go. you'll also need a fan to keep the engine cool while running in the garage. air cooled engines quickly overheat in a closed shop.

Ive worked in bike shops and auto shops, the cars were usually just a hose run to a hole in the door, that would be enough as long as you had the bike backed right up to where your vent was. because the bikes were further away from the vent, they needed the help of the fan to not bleed into the shop area.

the tail end of your pipe shouldnt get hot enough in the shop to melt the rubber hose, but use your own best judgement there.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the replies. I was actually in a car garage today and also noticed the 8 inch ducts on the walls. For the fan, I was thinking of installing one I have left over from when I was repairing the central heating system (it fits right in the tube). And yes, I think a carbon dioxide tester is a must have? So just as long as I have no back pressure, I should be fine. Thanks again for the support and for this great site!

Comment

Working...
                  X