replaced head gasket...now won't start...feeling in over my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced head gasket...now won't start...feeling in over my

Decided to replace head gasket and get some old bolts pulled from the head and get a heliocoil in a plug hole.

assembled and wont start. Even used starting fluid no luck.

pulled the valve cover and checked to see if I had 20 cam chain pins between the two points while on on TDC. This looked good. Is there any other point I should be checking for timing?

Ay ideas I am pretty stumped....and tired

will go after it again tommorrow.

Re: replaced head gasket...now won't start...feeling in over

I'm not clear on the wording. You said 20 pins BETWEEN. The 1st pin is centered over the arrow on the exhaust cam sprocket when the horizontal arrow on the exhaust cam sprocket is aligned with the gasket surface on the cylinder head (no gasket) The 20th pin is centered over the arrow on the ubtaje cam. There are actually only 18 pins BETWEEN the two arrows.

I'm probably being too picky. :-) Including the pins above each arrow, you should have 20.

I would check the timing again also. After settting the pin spacing on the cams, AND installing the cam chain tensioner, I like to rotate the crank with a wrench 4-5 times and recheck timing and cam marks. It is real easy to err a tooth off in setup thinking you are on the marks, only to find 5-6 revolutions later, things are not where you thought you set them. :-)

On my 1150, the cam chain cannot be installed with the cams bolted down, so the cams are positioned, but not seated. Once the chain is in place, the cam caps bolted down and the tensioner installed, the tension and seating moves my cam timing one pin. I have to set it up appearing to be one pin too far forward on the exhaust cam sprocket for it to be on the marks once everything is tightened down. Yours may be like that too.

Are you certain you have the exhaust cam on the exhaust and the intake cam on the intake? :-) (it wouldnt be the first time) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rgierer
    Decided to replace head gasket and get some old bolts pulled from the head and get a heliocoil in a plug hole.

assembled and wont start. Even used starting fluid no luck.

pulled the valve cover and checked to see if I had 20 cam chain pins between the two points while on on TDC. This looked good. Is there any other point I should be checking for timing?

Ay ideas I am pretty stumped....and tired

will go after it again tommorrow.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You could start with three basics.

1. Check compression. This will tell you if the valves are out of sync since you won't have any compression. A very free wheeling engine that spins too fast when your cranking it is a dead givaway. If you don't have a compression gauge turn the engine over with a wrench and see if you get a lot of resistance on the squeeze stroke. If you off by a tooth you will know it by how easy it is to turn .

2. Spark? I did not see where you verified it. Verify you have nice blue spark on the end of a grounded spark plug in free air.

3. Fuel? Use a small spray bottle to shoot some gas into the carb throats through the air box and start it. Don't spray while cranking, could get a backfire. If it stumbles and tries to start on this test you have a fuel delivery problem. Starter spray does not always work too well.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The engine clearly does not spin too freely as I have had the batt on a charger all day off and on.

I held a plug wire in my hand and got a nice shock (this is how I check for spark.

Comprression is way down 50 or so. I am thinking it must be tining but can't figure it out

Comment

I pulled the valve cover off and checked the pins again after several failed attemps at starting. It all seemed to line up. Will check again in the morning

Comment

Working...
          X