Can I use this motor for my motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use this motor for my motorcycle?

Here is the info. I own a 1980 GS850GL. I want to install an engine assembly from a 1981 GS750. Can I do this? I.E. will the mounts line up and the driveshaft match up with the existing cycle? Help!

Shaft drive to chain conversions are a waste of time andmoney. If you need another engine find a 850 G or L, the engines are the same.

It would be easier to go to a 1000 or 110 shaft driver motor and get more bang for the buck. The frames are almost identical as are the forks and other components,
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

ok, they are both shaft drive.. does that make it any easier?

Comment

A shaft drive750????

Comment

There were shaft drive 750's, just not in the US.

Earl

Originally posted by Guy
          A shaft drive750????
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Oh!

Hey Earl, while you're here......
            Can you answer my rotor question? What are the hole centres on the 1100?

Comment

I still would not go down in displacement unless this was a hand me down bike and there was NO other choice. Your going to be losing at least 10 HP in the deal.

Comment

And the 850 frame is the same as the 1000's. So there will be extra heft also.
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T
                http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Let us know the results if you go ahead with this and are successful. I'm sure someone else will ask about this in the future except wanting to put the 850 motor in a 750.

Comment

Yes, I have the motor in my garage and it is a shaft drive. It has a set of carbs on it that I dont recognize.

Here is a better idea. Show me a bike for sale with a bad 750 in it and I will buy it to use with this motor. This motor runs very well (ran right into the back of a car might I add) and is very clean. Its a shame to watch it sit on the floor.

Comment

Ok, new information. I did a little cleaning, turns out its not a 750 like I was told. Its an 850, year unknown.

Comment

rayneman, post the engine serial number for us.. there's a few sites that'll help determine the year and such.

Comment

I dont know offhand, but if you can tell me what rotor from what year and model you want to install in what year and model bike, I can tell you if they are interchangable. PM me if I miss getting back to this thread. I can be kinda haphazard. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Guy
                          Oh!

Hey Earl, while you're here......
                          Can you answer my rotor question? What are the hole centres on the 1100?
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayneman76
                            Ok, new information. I did a little cleaning, turns out its not a 750 like I was told. Its an 850, year unknown.
                            Get er done I say! If you put them on the floor side by side you'll know right away if it is doable or not. Provided they are both 79-80 year engines they are surely compatible. Later models may have different swingarms

Comment

Working...
                            X