1980 GS1100E Trans. noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E Trans. noise?

I posted about this noise probably close to a year ago, and it was thought to be the clutch springs back than. I took the clutch apart and the clutch basket out, everything looked fine. Reassembled, and I still have this noise. When I rev the engine in neutral it sounds like a bunch of marbles. Engaging or disengaging the clutch doesn't seem to make any differance. When I am in gear and let the clutch out their is a rattling noise until the clutch is engaged and I am accelerating. I am selling this bike and don't want to spend a lot of time and money on it, but I would like to be able to let the new owner what the problem may be. Thanks for any help.

Lee

Did you check the backing plate springs. When they get weak they rattle back in fourth. The 3 big springs absorb acceleration shock and the small 3 springs absorb deceleration shock. Maybe dampering would be a better word??

Next time you pull the basket out check the springs, if they are loose in their slots then it's time for a rebuild clutch kit.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

When are you selling it? I'm looking for a winter project.

Comment

Jake,

I have a V & H clutch basket and I did check the springs, I thought they were ok. Maybe I should pull it apart again and just replace them. When I was out riding today with my wife on the back, (more weight) the noise was more noticable on clutch disengagment, so when I got home I listened with a stethascope to pinpoint the area, and it sure sounds like it is coming from the middle of the gearbox. Which could very well be the backside of the clutch basket. Thanks for your response.

Lee

Comment

If you hold the ring gear with one hand and the other hand on the basket area and are able to move the basket back and fourth it's a good sign those springs are toast.

Comment

Jake,

I took my clutch apart today and the primary gear hub is solid and the springs do not have play in them. It does look like the back of the clutch sleeve hub has been hitting the primary gear hub. I cleaned everything and started putting it back together. When I put the primary gear hub back on and installed the bearing and spacer inside of it, there is play in the bearing, causing the hub to have some movement. Now I haven't installed the clutch sleeve hub yet and torqued the nut, will that take the movement out?

Thanks for any help.
            Lee

Comment

I just installed the clutch sleeve hub and torqued the nut and there is play in the primary gear hub at the bearing. Is that an indication I need a new bearing and/or inner sleever?

Thanks, Lee

Comment

I was checking my manual and saw that there is supposed to be rubber damper plug behind the clutch hub. I never saw it when I took the clutch apart, I guess that very well could be my problem. Is there 1 or 2 of those behind the clutch hub?

Thanks, Lee

Comment

Those rubber dampers are on the back of the clutch too.

If the rear springs are nice and tight in the backing plate then the only thing I can think of is when you re-install the basket, double check the oil pump gear is in the slot on the basket. Turn the oil pump gear notch to 12 0'clock then line up the basket with it's slot at 12 too. Then you can use your finger or screwdriver and try to rotate the oil pump gear back and fourth to insure that it is engaged.

Also make sure you have that washer that goes on the transmission input shaft before you install the oil pump gear, spacer and bearing.

You will get alittle movement of the clutch basket when it's assemble. If your getting a half inch of play then something is still wrong.

Also make sure you are not using a clutch cover bolt that is to long. On the lower right hand side the screw can touch the side of the basket if your not careful.

Don't know if this will help, but good luck.

Comment

Jake,

Thanks for the help. I ordered the replacements today from BikeBandit of the parts that looked worn. I think it is mostly the rubber dampner on the back of the clutch and the bearing that were worn. Once I get the parts and put it back together I will give an update.

Thanks again,
                    Lee

Comment

Working...
                    X