Now I'm scared!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm scared!!

Just noticed. Rainy day (just sprinkling) went for a ride noticed my horn didn't work. Turned off light horn worked. Read the stator papers (well written) Hope its a poor connection made worse by moisture. Horn worked ok before with lights on. Any ideas what wires/connection I should check first? Or do I need to start with the charging system as per the stator papers. Using search feature brings MANY post but nothing quick and easy-hence,I'm scared

Check the grounds for the horn,

Use a volt meter and see if the voltage at the horn switches when you press the button, then troubleshoot from there.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Most of the time when a horn stops working, it's just in need of an adjustment. Failure to work with the headlight on could be caused by a drop in voltage to the horn which is at the threshhold of operation with no additional electrical load.

Read the thread at Keep Your Stock Horns & Save Your Money!

It is common for horns on old machines to quit working over time. I have revived mine a number of times with the simple screw adjustment described in the referenced thread.

Comment

The horn works it just didn.t work in drizzling rain with the headlight on. I'm assuming I've got an intermittent drain caused by a bad connection. I;m wondering where I should look first. I didn't srare my problem clearly I apologize :?

Comment

Check ground then the connections.

Comment

Working...
          X