Loud pop at starting, then nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud pop at starting, then nothing

I had trouble starting my bike today, most likely because it's cold and has sat for a couple weeks combined with poor jeting in the carbs. After the third or fourth try it backfires or something, and now when you put the key in the lights don't come on, if you wait a while, they will come on until you push the start button and it clicks and everything turns off.

WHat in the world have I done?

Looks like you ran the battery down. Take the battery out of the bike and check the water level if you have a wet cell type battery. Use a trickle charger to charge the battery overnight.

When you put the battery back in turn the petcock to "PRI" and let it sit for ~1 minute. This will ensure that gas is getting down to the carb. Turn the petcock back to "ON" pull the choke and try to start it. If it doesn't start in 3 seconds don't keep your finger on the electric starter or you'll end up with another dead battery.

Comment

Couldn't that POP also come from a backfire due to cranking/flooding? I know when this happened to my bike I had fuel all up in the airbox because I cranked and cranked with only a backfire here or there. I removed the plugs (gas soaked), shut off the fuel and cranked it a little bit to kind of air out. Then I reinstalled everything, a little choke, no throttle, and she started right up. I'm not sure if this is a good procedure though as I'm a new rider and only had my first bike a few months. anyway, that's what I did.
      Good luck.

Comment

It wasn't the battery, I have it on a battery tender, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Comment

I think I found the problem, After checking the fuses, I decided to change the ignition box, and presto, works just fine. It's idling much higher than before, but before it wasn't snowing.

Comment

right on, glad you fixed it!

Comment

the only thing is, I lost the stupid screw that held it in place!

Comment

Working...
              X