What year is my engine from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year is my engine from?

I have a GS850 sitting on the garage floor. I just got and and dont know a thing about it. I was first told it was an 81 750. I did a little cleaning and turns out its an 850. I know this because its stamped on the motor, right?

It has Mikuni carbs, a kick starter, an electric starter, and any other information you would like me to get from it.

What year do you think this motor is from? (or range of years)

I know it has to be a 78-85 but I am hoping to narrow it down.

The model year should be on the steering stem next to the VIN.

In the US, I believe GS850s were imported from 1979 to 1983. 1979 models had slide carbs, and all 1980 and later models had CV carbs with round chromed tops.

The kick starter narrows it down to an earlier model. I'm not sure when they stopped using the kick start lever, though.

There are some minor mechanical differences in the engines, but generally the 1980-83 model engines are easily interchangeable. The 1982-83 driveshaft is slightly different where it bolts onto the engine. However, as long as you get the driveshaft that goes with the engine, everything else bolts right on.

The 1979 slide carb models have different cylinder heads than later models, so the heads are not interchangable but the rest of the engine is.

The 1983 engines were painted black. 1982 and 1983 engines have different clutch covers (angled gasket surface instead of flat), valve covers (19 bolts instead of 16), and cylnder heads (see valve cover) than the 1980-81 engines.

1980 and 1981 models seem to be the most common by far.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

the kick start narrows it down to one year, 1979.
      79 was the only year that had the kick start.
      other key features of the 79 850 are slide carbs, smaller port head, and points ignition.
      if I remember right there might be a slight differance in the head/cam cover bolt pattern also.

Comment

If your swapping the complete engine you should be OK.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Engine mounts are the same for all 850's. SO it should bolt right up. Their right the only year for the kick starter was 79 for the 850 & all the 2Valve 750's too! the GS1000 never had a kicker

Comment

Working...
          X