Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mikuni cv choke/starter plunger

Hi
    I have an 82 gs 550l which doesn't want to idle sensibly. if i blip the throttle it runs up to 3000 or so and doesn't want to settle down. when I muck about with the choke it quiets right away so I figure the plungers are leaking. The rubber bits seem to have lost resilience. Cant they be rejuvinated. Should I replce them ? Any source?

Thanks

Not sure that the choke plungers are your problem here.

Does the choke rail go all the way back and forth in when you turn the choke up and down?

What do the plugs look like? Are they black dry or white clean?

Is the air/fuel system stock or are there any mods? Airbox in place and complete?

Have you tried cleaning the carbs?

Are the intake and airbox boots in good shape or could they be leaking?

Comment

funny idle

hi

thanks for the tips, I have cleaned the carbs thoroughly, twice, everything is stock, the airbox is good and the boots don't leak new o-rings, and the problem disappears when the choke plungers are manipulated.....disconnected cable - push them tight shut and idle drops...? plugs are black and fluffy

Comment

air leaks

one way to be sure there are no air leaks is to spray some carb cleaner around the intake boots when the engine is running, any air leaks anywhere will cause the engine to surge. Replacing the orings on the intake boots is generally a good idea when you remove and clean the carbs, a small price to pay for a big headache later.

Comment

Re: mikuni cv choke/starter plunger

Originally posted by r.t.snake
          Hi
          I have an 82 gs 550l which doesn't want to idle sensibly. if i blip the throttle it runs up to 3000 or so and doesn't want to settle down. when I muck about with the choke it quiets right away so I figure the plungers are leaking. The rubber bits seem to have lost resilience. Cant they be rejuvinated. Should I replce them ? Any source?

Thanks
          I am going to say you have dirty pilot jets. When you use the choke, you are effectively "cheating" added fuel into the carbs, hence the better idle. A high "hanging" idle is a tell tale sign something is running lean. Could be an air leak also, so spray everything with carb cleaner, and listen for an abrupt change in idle behavior.
          Rich

Comment

Black and dry plugs means you are running rich on the idle circuit. But it sounds like your choke cable has tension on it even when you have the choke knob all the way out (choke is turned off). Could you have a cable routing problem? On my bike, when I push the knob all the way forward (away from me) this releases all tension on the cable and the rail spring pushes the chokes shut. There is no play on the choke rail at this point for me. Perhaps the rail was removed at some point and reinstalled incorrectly or with a weak replacement spring? Another possibility is that a plunger got dinged and is causing friction and resistance. The spring is not very strong so any resistance could leave the chokes open. But you also state that the idle dies when you shut the choke off by pushing on the rail. Does this happen when the bike is fully warmed up? My guess is you have two problems here: the choke is not closing correctly and the idle needs adjustment. Have you synced the carbs? When doing carb work I found that getting a good idle is very difficult unless the carbs are in sync. I started by first syncing the carbs (at around 2k-3k RPM idle) and then adjusted the idle down to the 1.5K RPM range to adjust the idle mix screws. Once I adjusted those (using the high RPM method), I did a second, more accurate sync and then used the idle stop knob to get a nice 1.1-1.2k RPM idle.

Comment

STARTER/ CHOKE PLUNGERS

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

SO......
              Have cleaned ( Third time) carbs- you would need a microscope to find dirt anywhere----new o rings throughout . Airbox and boots-- no leaks at boots or airbox - stock ( new filter)

And...
              when I blip the throttle idle runs up and stays there until I close the choke plungers with a push on the choke shaft. It is not the cable because it is disconnected. then it idles ok.
              The ends of the plungers look tired and dried out.

AND SO...
              I return to my original question:
              " Does anyone know how to rejuvinate plungers or a source for new replacements?" My local Suzuki dealer was no help.

Comment

Check BikeBandit.com - look under Kaw KZ1000 carb parts. or
                Check with motorcyclecarbs.com
                also check for used set ebay, I think the choke plunges are the same for all models

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                  X