Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for break in advices.

Hi friends!

I have recently rebuild my 650?s engine, can you give me any advice about breaking it in?
    Wich oil,Castrol GTX 20 w 50 or SAE 30 monograde? (here is spring)
    RPM?s?

Thanks.

I would not recomend using a automotive oil in a energy conserving grade as you could have problems with it affecting the clutch.

I don't know how hot it gets there but I do know it is rare for the temp to get down to the freezing point.

20w50 will probably work fine.
    I would recomend keeping the engine speed below 5000rpm for around 500 miles, and change the oil at 200 miles to get rid of any initial wear in particles.

Comment

Also check valve adjustments at 500 miles. Avoid excessive idle as well. At 500 miles open the oil filter up and pull it apart to see if there is any metal in it.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Go to Wally World & get a gallon of Rotella 15/40-(it's actually a desel oil) run it easy for 50-100 miles & change it. Then run it up to 7-8K but not to redline. Change it again at 500 miles, RE torque the head bolts, check the valves & ur all set. Just make sure to vary the RPM"s

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          Go to Wally World & get a gallon of Rotella 15/40-(it's actually a desel oil) run it easy for 50-100 miles & change it. Then run it up to 7-8K but not to redline. Change it again at 500 miles, RE torque the head bolts, check the valves & ur all set. Just make sure to vary the RPM"s
          www.rotella.com
          Wally World in Uruguay, Lynn?? That's good!!

Steve 8)

Comment

There are 11 Walmarts in Argentina, and 150 (!!??!!?) in Brazil.

They might as well build some in Uruguay. They've pretty much covered the rest of the planet.

Heck, Montevideo, Minnesota has a Walmart. Why not Montevideo, Uruguay?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I didn't notice where he was from.

Comment

When he said it was springtime I knew he was
                A. Not in our country.
                B. A lucky Guy.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Lots of good advice Aliseo. changing the oil a couple of times at the very beginning of break in is most important.

Como esta??? good to see you posting again Mr green Mountain

Comment

Thanks you all for your advices

oppss! this topic has becomed controversial...Walmart,Montevideo Minnesota, Montevideo Uruguay, Spring, Autumn...the list will continue?

They might as well build some in Uruguay. They've pretty much covered the rest of the planet.
                    Sadly there is not any Walmart here in Uruguay, I think it is possible to buy on line in Argentina, but unfortunately Walmart Argentina has differents products than in US.

I have decided to ride with Castrol GP (designed for 4 stroke motorbikes), it is an expensive oil,but the engine and clutch will be grateful.

Yesterday I went for a 40 Kms (64 miles),ride at dusk trying to keep the engine cool with fresh air because I have noticed that the engine gets more hot than before rebuilding it..I think that it is normal due to friction in new internal parts.

When he said it was springtime I knew he was
                    A. Not in our country.
                    B. A lucky Guy.
                    Unfortunately I am in South America, but I am living an springtime with 20? C (68? F)on average, without rains during week ends.(Perfect for ride on motorbike). 8) :twisted:

Como esta??? good to see you posting again Mr green Mountain
                    Dom, come estai amico? molto bene?
                    Mr green mountain sounds cool 8)

What is best; ride at 4000 RPM on 3rd gear loading the engine or a bit less on 4th gear without loading the engine?

Maybe someone could be interested in the future in this topic , so I have another question about oils... KZ650 Clymers manual recommends monograde oil during brake in period, what do you think about this?

Lynn your advice is similar to this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm and it is diferent to others manuals or advices specially when you said to run it up to 7-8K...is not too much speed for the engine? What your experience says? :roll:

Comment

There are a thousand opinions on how to properly break in an engine.

The only topics that make sense to me are to avoid red line, and to vary the rpms often. That means don't let it idle any more than nessecary, and no highway trips where you need to be at constant high rpms for any length of time.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X