Side Cover peg reattachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Cover peg reattachment

I have a broken peg on one of my side covers. I've used several types of epoxy to reattach it but all have failed to hold it. Please let me know what kind of glue you've used to sucessfully reattech these. THANKS

I've used a special epoxy made for plastics, and it works great. Other types of epoxy don't work at all. I forget the brand, but I found it at Menard's. It comes in a double-barreled syringe, and you squirt it out and mix up what you need

For the strongest repair, you do have to build up a little bit of epoxy around the part -- the glob of epoxy isn't really pretty, but it's very strong. I don't care how it looks because it's hidden inside the side cover. I drilled a few small holes through the broken peg section so the epoxy had something to physically grab onto. You also need to rough up the area you want to bond with sandpaper and clean it thoroughly before repairing.

I've used the same stuff on several other automotive plastic repairs, and it's always worked great.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

JB-Weld has repaired pegs on my side covers and has held up for ten years or more.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I used a soldering iron and some scrap plastic to repair it. I used the scrap plastic to strengthen the post and hold it. Like welding with plastic. Use lots of ventilation and don't breath the fumes.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

What did you clean the sidecover with? If you are trying to reattach the broken tab rough up the area w/ a light grit sandpaper. Clean the tab and the area on the sidecover w/ rubbing alcohol. 2 part epoxies should work fine.

Comment

Working...
          X