Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hell yeah ! replacement 450 engine only 9000 miles on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell yeah ! replacement 450 engine only 9000 miles on it.

That's how many miles my bike had on the engine When I ran it out of oil and made a screw loose so to speak. I'm not a mechanic. All the cables are still attatched to the replacement engine. Do any of you 5 star gs resourcers think I can do the transplant ? First thing I'm worried about is the linking up the throttle carbs or whatever. A little input......

I ran it out of oil and made a screw loose..... I'm not a mechanic....the throttle carbs or whatever.
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Adam,
    Not to sound mean or anything, but your post doesn't make you seem knowledgeable or confident enough to do the swap. Although it is the purpose of this site to assist the unknowing in their endeavors to keep these beasts running, unless you provide some pictures and more information on the job at hand, information about your mechanical experience, and your own availability of resources such as tools, parts, etc., then I would suggest that you find a buddy who's is experienced enough to help you in the swap, or just have a local bike mechanic to it. Also, remember, in these dreadful times of repair, a manual is your best friend. Get one, read the procedures, and then determine if you are capable of successfully completing the job. We don't want anymore "loose screws" on the beautiful machine you've been riding around on.
    Good luck to you, and provide us with some pics or more detailed info if you can.[/quote]

Comment

This is a pretty major repair but one you could accomplish.

Do you have a garage with proper tools, lighting and all that? Do you have someone that can help you since the engine is pretty heavy? Your going to need to take pictures of the bike BEFORE you disassemble anything, make cables and wires with tape so you know ehre they go and take another picture if you can. Use a torque wrench on critical parts like engine mounts since safety is important. Patience is a virtue and you need to be patient when you do this.

If you were closer to Wilmington Delaware I would offer my garage to do it, it really is not too bad and could be done in a weekend with the right tools and people.

Hats off to you for correcting your mistake with the oil. You'll never make that mistake again.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

An engine change on a 450 should be a piece of cake Even a beginer should be able to do it in a weekend, Just take lots of pictures before you start

Comment

right on !

I got all the resources/let you know when it's done :P

Comment

Yeah I decided to have my local bike mechanic do it.

He got installed and did a tune up on it. It runs well now. The reason I use the word well is because the throttle is a little sticky it will get stuck at high idle until you tach it up a bit which isn't good but sometimes they just need a little driving or loving u kno. When I first got it back from the mechanic it was idling high as crap as soon as I left but I brought it back to him today and he dropped the idle by turning this knob under the carbs. He told me to just turn that thing to adjust the idle. So it's cool I got it under control now.

Comment

other than that

It runs great. The motor I bought from dave @racecitycycles@adelphia.net (ebay)with only 9000 miles on it . The suzuki emblems on the engine are still in good shape.

Comment

keep an eye on the oil and ride safely
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Oil is good for the engine, engine likes oil...
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

IM anal .

I checked the oil yesterday and there wasn't barely a film of on oil on one side of the dipstick (the unmarked side) so I overvfilled it. Now I run the risk of impregnating a seal or gasket I'm gonna go try and burn it off. I'll live . A little overcompensation from running it out of oil.

Comment

Working...
                    X