Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance rebuild for my 79 GS 1000E please help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance rebuild for my 79 GS 1000E please help me!

I am the owner of a 1979 GS1000 E. I purchased this bike in the spring of 2002 it has 26,000 miles on it and has sat for five years. My plan was to save my pennies over the winter and have the bike repainted and take it to the shop to get it running. However, my best friend purchased SV 650 so I was forced to spend the money then. I spent 600$ on the bike and 1000$ to get it on the road i.e. rebuilt carbs, resealed forks, new points and condensers, battery, etc. Well I love the bike but my friends SV 650 is still faster and herein lays my problem. I am looking to rebuild the bike for performance and handling. I need some suggestions on cams, pistons, big bore kit, carbs, valves, welded crank and anything else that will give more power without sacrificing reliability. I also need to know a good shop to do the performance rebuild on the engine. I was also wondering if there were any ways to change the gear ratios on this bike or if it can be converted to a six speed. Increased handling and decreased weight is my next step after the engine. Suggestions would be really great, as I have no idea where to start. This will be a bit of a drawn out process and I know it will be expensive. However, when I get done I hope to have a custom GS 1000 that will run with some of the newer bikes. My name is Dan Rossiter and I live in north eastern PA My E-mail is danrossiter24@hotmail.com

Dan, there is a complete article on just what you want for your GS1000 in the December 1984 issue of Motorcyclist magazine. I have the article and I just sent a copy to Hap Call who said he will try and scan it for GSresources availability. We will get it to you one way or another. The article is very comprehensive, although there may be some newer options to be aware of. For example, the article recommends 29mm smoothbores, but these are getting very difficult to find, whereas the 36mm flatslides are available new for a reasonable price (and they will work well with a big piston kit and headwork). There's no way an SV650 should outclass your GS1000 except in the tightest of handling contests. My own 79 GS1000 (purchased new by me) has over 100,000 miles on it and just gets better with age, and I think Hap has me beat on miles.

Comment

Just a stab in the dark but check Vance&Hines. They did nothing but Suzuki after they left Russ Collins Engineering in the late 70's and although there were parts made for other makes they still ran Suzuk's for their competition bikes. They should know which direction to point you as far as engine work goes.

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

Dan, I drag race a GS1000 like yours. Look on my website to see if this helps you. I know pretty much everything that went into this bike, so feel free to e-mail me if I can help. These motors are tremendously strong and over built and they really respond to some basic racer tricks.

Paul

Comment

Working...
        X