1983 GS1100ED clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100ED clutch

I have 83 GS1100ED it has clutch from 81 GS1100 and I am returning it to 83 specs baskets & preasure plates are identical Suzuki dealers shows 10 friction discs & 11 steels but 81 has 9 of each is the dealer wrong,also need to know if friction discs are same thickness from 81 to 83.when taking the 81 clutch apart found one of the steels was smooth and showed no signs of scoring it was located at end of clutch pack closeset to cover should this be or should all steels have dimples.If anyone can help on this topic would be greatful or if anyone has diagram of 83 clutch assem.

Here is a page from a copied manual.
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwDrAjoWFEhDCHJqslABKNjBmmT*cibhlIlx6lKkKJp3czS6X rhHf43brvPo!UqIF8HWshg6i3LbtQZBFafDM2WonelmhaQXr!N kTGrmcJUIkNPOwvGFMQ/page%209.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps some. 8)
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I have both an 81 and 83 1100E and have been in both clutches.

The 81 comes stock with 9 of each as you say, and the 83 has 10 friction and 11 driven again as you say. The 83 stockers are dimpled, except for the last plate againt the pressure plate. The 83's are thinner, but the clutch pack from the 81 fits fine in the 83. Both years clutch basket, hub and pressure plates are identical. Some aftermarket plates come stock smooth, some dimpled.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I understand that the dimpled ones are better since they hold fluid and wick heat better than the smooth ones. Although the smooth ones would have greater contact area and may hook up harder.

Six 1, half a dozen the other.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          I have both an 81 and 83 1100E and have been in both clutches.

The 81 comes stock with 9 of each as you say, and the 83 has 10 friction and 11 driven again as you say. The 83 stockers are dimpled, except for the last plate againt the pressure plate. The 83's are thinner, but the clutch pack from the 81 fits fine in the 83. Both years clutch basket, hub and pressure plates are identical. Some aftermarket plates come stock smooth, some dimpled.

Ditto

Comment

Working...
          X