Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the TRUTH about 2 in one exhaust for gs 450 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the TRUTH about 2 in one exhaust for gs 450 ?

Is it just less volume=quieter ? I heard the faster you can get air in and out of the machine the faster it will go OBVIOUSLY . So switching from dual exhaust to one seem s like it would slow it down .

Well I don't know about the 2cyls in particular but in general a well tuned header will use the exhaust pulses from one cylinder to help scavange the gases from another cylinder.

I'm not sure exactly how this works but I assume its something to do with a low pressure wave passing the end of one runner when the exhaust valve is open helping to pull the gasses out and down the runner.

I say "well tuned" because not all headers are equal or built for the same ends. Pipe legth, diamater and thickness as well as a host of other factors all influence what effect the header will have and where in the rpm range that effect will happen.

AFAIK there is no such thing as an across the board HP and torque boosting header, unless its got a turbo stuck on the other end of it.

/\/\ac

Comment

It depends on who you ask.

If you ask a car guy he will say that 8,6,or 4 into 1 is less restrictive. You gotta get a 8,6,4 into 2 to get the motor to breathe better. In your case an aftermarket 2 into 1 exhaust will do what Macmatic says. In addition it also weighs less than the stock 2 into 2 exhaust system so you get a weight savings also. Which reminds me I gotta get off this thing and exercise so my bike will run faster tomorrow.

Comment

I think another reason people go to the 2-1 for the 450's is there are no aftermarket 2-2 for them. 2-1 (Mac is really all as far as the US is concerned) is about all you'll find short of NOS (NOT cheap) or used if you need a replacement.

I currently have wide open glasspacs on my bike and find that it is a bit sluggish compared to the wife's S with stock exhaust. Size (and noise) isn't everything

Comment

Adam,

I would replace the engine you have and getting it running before investing in new pipes. Adding an aftermarket pipe might complicate things by requiring a rejet.

Walk before you Run.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Dont do it!! If it aint broke, dont fix it. If it is horsepower you want, then you need a bigger engine. I am a big fan of the 1 pipe per cylinder concept. Both my bikes have stock (GS-> 2-2, CB -> 4-4) pipes.

Originally posted by Macmatic
            Well I don't know about the 2cyls in particular but in general a well tuned header will use the exhaust pulses from one cylinder to help scavange the gases from another cylinder.
            /\/\ac
            The stock exhaust has this built in. There is a crossover under the pegs, in front of the centerstand. The japs know their stuff, and got it right the first time. I dont know what happened, but nowadays theyre all 4-1. One more reason you wont find me on anything new.

Save yourself many headaches and keep it stock.

Comment

It is broke

Thats why I'm replacing them. The determining factor for me is gonna be how it would look on the side with out the pipe. Keep yall posted . I hope to get my bike up here in the gallery atleast hopefully a picture of the month when I'm done.

Comment

SOme exhausts don't have a bumper for the center stand and you have to fabricate a mount, a real bitch. Other pipes have been known to block the oil drain plugs, meaning you hve to drop the pipe to get the oil out, another Hillary.

If your pipes look good leave them alone.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

enjoy the economy of the smaller engine and look for a larger more powerfull machine. dont ruin something that is perfect for these days of rising gasoline prices.

Comment

I was kinda watching these, but I am not calling dibs or nothing. If you need 'em go for it.

450L pipes on Ebay (cheap)

Comment

the 450 ugly as hell megaphones.. i'll have some forsale here in a bit... i'm dumping them and using the mac 2-1 and swapping the muffler for a nice upsweep tailpipe (with rejet of corse)

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS450L
                        the 450 ugly as hell megaphones.. i'll have some forsale here in a bit... i'm dumping them and using the mac 2-1 and swapping the muffler for a nice upsweep tailpipe (with rejet of corse)
                        ** edit ** I should read when I ain't tired...

Show some pics when you get it installed I need new exhaust for my E, don't wanna go stock, but want something slightly original.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2006, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X