1979 GS850 Clutch/Clutch Cover on GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 Clutch/Clutch Cover on GS750

I'm pretty sure that a 1979 GS850 clutch cover will fit on a '78 GS750 (bolt pattern looks the same and both have kickstart)...What I am not sure about is whether the clutch basket from an 1979 850 will fit the '78 750. Does anybody know/have experience?

This modification would really help my plans for a killer custom I'm building.

Thanks,
    GSChop

I Believe the only diff. of those 2 motors was above the crankcase (cylinders & pistons). It should be fine.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones
      I Believe the only diff. of those 2 motors was above the crankcase (cylinders & pistons). It should be fine.
      well the crank cases are differant, the 850 is shaft drive.

also the clutch actuation is differant, the 750 uses a push rod that passes through the main shaft from the left, the 850 is actuated through the clutch cover.

part numbers for the clutch basket, hub, and cover are differant.

on the other hand it looks like the cover will mount right up, it is possible that you might be able to change the complete clutch assembly and cover.

you would have to remove the 750's clutch actuator and seal the hole for the push rod, and you would have to use 850 clutch cable more than likely.

Comment

...focus frenzy...

Yeah - the whole idea is to get rid of the leftside cover (chain/clutch actuation) and replace it with the clutch cover/actuation mechanism/clutch basket from the '79 850. Thanks for checking out the part numbers for me! I'm gonna look around for the '79 set-up (or maybe even buy a whole motor if I have to) and have a go at it. Hey - the worst that can happen is that I have more crap to clutter up the garage with.

Again - thanks for the help...

GSChop

Comment

Working...
        X