1982 katana.... what forks can I use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 katana.... what forks can I use??

can i use oil cooled gsxr forks on my 1982 katana project? What years work the best/ easiest? Thanks in advance..
    mark

Re: 1982 katana.... what forks can I use??

Originally posted by mrmperformancefabrication
    can i use oil cooled gsxr forks on my 1982 katana project? What years work the best/ easiest? Thanks in advance..
    mark
    What '82 Katana do you have? I'm sure people will want to know so they can give good info.

I'm also interested in fork, swingarm and wheel swaps for my new '82 GS550M Katana project.

What are the ups and downs of upside down forks? Anyone know of a swingarm likely to swap into the 550 frame? I'm going to post a thread on this over in performace mods when I can take some measurements off the existing parts.

Thanks,
    /\/\ac

Comment

forks

use whatever you like, anything that takes modern tyres, if properly fitted and matched at the back will make it better. i have zzr600 forks and wheels on my 81 kat 11, stock swingarm will accept a wide tyre, yokes will need a bit of modding, but so will a lot of stuff. i used the kwak stuff s i got it cheap with shagged tyres and disks.

Comment

The later model GSXRs use roller bearings which can be replaced with tapered sets. Anything from about the mid '90s back will have tapered bearings. I'll have an '88 GSXR front end available soon once I replace it with a '95 front end I already have. It would be perfect for 550 based machines. Check out Katman's post in the performance section for details on his mods.

Comment

billy
          let me know when the front end is avail.
          mark

Comment

Mark,
            Will do. The '88 front end will need new seals though. I'll either take that into account on the price or replace them and change the oil at an additional cost. I'll throw in the handlebar clamps and the bar I have on the bike now. You could go with clipons but the way I have it set up is much more comfortable. The '88 is adjustable for preload and damping in both directions. It's a great fork. When Suzuki first introduced the '88 models all the mags raved that it was the best ever offered on a street bike.

Comment

For an '82 Katana 550 would forks from an '83 GS750ES be an upgrade? I've got a whole front end from my parts bike already with progressive springs. I'd have to rebuild them (seals) but I might have to do that to any newer forks I get too. I know they wouldn't be as good as GSXR or other forks...but I'm trying to find a reason not to junk them and ebay the springs.

I'm moving or I'd just give them some wall space until I found a need.

/\/\ac

Comment

Mac,
                If you get the preload right they would firm up the ride and if they are too long the tubes can be brought up in the triples to shorten it up. Plus you'd have a 16" wheel that would quicken the steering.

Comment

Thanks Billy, I'll stuff them in the car someplace and take them along for now. I want to change out the forks and swingarm for later parts and the wheels too but I'm always working on a budget so I'll keep what I've got for now I guess.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                  X