First dumb question = centerstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First dumb question = centerstand

Bought the 83 GS1100E that I talked about on the "Should I Buy" post. First question is what keeps the centerstand from whacking the chain when it is up. For now it has a 4 into 1 exhaust so I am assuming the stock exhaust had a keeper or a stop to keep it going up that high. Am I right or is it something else. Will take it off worse case scenario. Where would be the best place to get a factory service manual? I am a newbie so I will probably recycle some old questions but I will do a search first.
    Thanks alot,
    Mike 8O

Re: First dumb question = centerstand

On the left side of the rear lower frame adjacent to the swingarm, if you will look underneath, you will see a small bracket and usually with a rubber pad mounted to it. This is the centerstand stop.

You can find a repair manual on amazon books. Both new and used ones are most always available. Usually Clymer or Haines. You probably will not find a Suzuki factory manual there though.

Earl

[quote="mike94form"]Bought the 83 GS1100E that I talked about on the "Should I Buy" post. First question is what keeps the centerstand from whacking the chain when it is up.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yup....just like Earl says....and if you don't find the rubber, then you may have identified your problem.....try an auto parts store for replacement and use anything that will fit...

If you don't find anything, resort to imagination...grab a used shock absorber cushion from a garage and modify it to suit...
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

On my "83" 1100 the centerstandE, the centerstand stop is on the exaust system. Some 4 into 1 pipes come with a centerstand stop, some don't. You can easily make one. It bolts to the inside of the right rear foot peg. Basically a flat piece of metal 3/4" x 6 1/2". Drill hole near end for foot peg mounting boltb, bend as needed to go around pipe and stop the stand

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          On my "83" 1100 the centerstandE, the centerstand stop is on the exaust system. Some 4 into 1 pipes come with a centerstand stop, some don't. You can easily make one. It bolts to the inside of the right rear foot peg. Basically a flat piece of metal 3/4" x 6 1/2". Drill hole near end for foot peg mounting boltb, bend as needed to go around pipe and stop the stand
          Yeah, on the 82/83 1100Es the centerstands stops on the exhaust, hence it doesn't on yours with the 4 to 1 (I'd send you a picture but mines down to the frame and sitting all over the shelves in the garage). But like the others said fabricating something shouldn't be to hard.
          Good luck and enjoy.
          I took a ton of pictures (but not of the centerstand) while tearing mine down to aid with putting it back together so if you need any visual aids let me know.

Comment

Forgot to mention, watch E-Bay for a factory manual. Seems a couple go through each month.
            They're approx. $65 new from a dealer :x .

Comment

The best way to stop your centerstand from whacking your chain is to get a shaftie. - Yeh!
              :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              X