Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PODs & Water: Carb Modifications

Originally posted by sebring38
    What modifications do I need to make to the carbs in order for the bike to run right with the pods?
    sebring38
    Basically, it's necessary to sell your soul to Satan, the original designer of pods.

You might encounter different opinions.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

OK, I get the picture clearly Carbs are rebuilt, engine side boots replaced with O-rings, and air box tightened up. Don't want to do that "sell your soul to the devil" thing, so will keep as is. Those pods sure would look good though. One final question: Where is the best deal on air box side rubber boots?
      Keith sebring38

Comment

Do yourself a favor and don't buy those. You will be waisting your money in the long run unless you don't plan on riding more than a couple hundred miles a year. But you will have water problems with them.
        I disagree completely, Hoomie. I have used the Emgo pods on my 550 for 2 years now without any issues. I take the filters off occasionally put em in the dishwasher. Regarding rain or water issues, there are none with my bike. I've ridden it in the flood rally of 2004, our rainy ride last year, and others without issues. The only time it gets waterbogged is after a wash where I may get some near the filters. A few minutes of running it and it clears out.

So...if you don't have $120 for pod K&N's, I've had luck with the Emgo's. That's just my story, so take it for what it's worth.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          Do yourself a favor and don't buy those. You will be waisting your money in the long run unless you don't plan on riding more than a couple hundred miles a year. But you will have water problems with them.
          I disagree completely, Hoomie. I have used the Emgo pods on my 550 for 2 years now without any issues. I take the filters off occasionally put em in the dishwasher. Regarding rain or water issues, there are none with my bike. I've ridden it in the flood rally of 2004, our rainy ride last year, and others without issues. The only time it gets waterbogged is after a wash where I may get some near the filters. A few minutes of running it and it clears out.

So...if you don't have $120 for pod K&N's, I've had luck with the Emgo's. That's just my story, so take it for what it's worth.

~Adam
          Like I said, exceptions. I have met Adam in person and he is of upstanding caliber so you can take what he said for gospel truth. When it comes to stuff like this, you got to go with your gut and find what works for you.

Comment

But Adam's 550 doesn't have CV carbs...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

But Adam's 550 doesn't have CV carbs...
              Correct! The CV's are much more sensitive to the air intake than the VM series...
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Perhaps the water messes up the floats enough to make it act funny, I'm not really sure...

As Hoomie said, just becuase it works with one person, doesn't mean it will work for everyone else.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                X