r/r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r/r

ok so i got a reg / rec from a cx500 but there are 3 yellow and 2 red and 2 green and 1 black , the 3 yellows are fine and meet up with the 3 yellows (on the 1983 gsx750es) the black fits too, as for the 2 red and 2 green what is to be done with them? join them all together and put it on the red wire from the gsx ? help please as this is the only set back i have with my new baby
    thanks again
    john

Back up!

The black wire(s) are NOT ground wires. The black wires must be connected to a SWITCHED POSITIVE 12 volt wire. I added a pigtail "T" to the wire that runs the tail light (not the brake light). You can tap into any wire that's live when the key is on. These are the "sense" wires that the regulator uses to sense and adjust its output. Do NOT just hook these into the red wires.

The GREEN wires are the ground wires. Kinda like house wiring. Make sure these have a good connection to battery ground.

The RED wires are battery +12V. If you don't hook these into the red+12V wire on your bike, make sure there's still a fuse in the circuit. In other words, if you connect it directly to the battery, you'll need to add a fuse.

The yellow wires hook into the stator wires in any order. One leg of the stator wiring usually is routed up to the headlight for no good reason, so many of us have bypassed this loop of extra wiring.

The way I understand it, the duplicate wires can be hooked together -- they're just Honda's extra insurance against bad connections.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

r/r

thanks for that i'll try this 2 morra and see what gose on thanks a lot but i still dont realy understand the need for all these extra wires as the gsx only has 5 and the cx has 8?

Comment

Re: r/r

Originally posted by montizano
        ... i still dont realy understand the need for all these extra wires as the gsx only has 5 and the cx has 8?
        There is no "need" for extra wires other than the black wire. The Honda (Shindengen) R/R has a different design requiring this voltage sensing function. The duplicate red and green wires could have been replaced by a single larger gauge red and green wire.

I think the reason that duplicate wires are used on the same circuit has more to do with manufacturing efficiency choices than anything else. If a heavy duty design with commensurate wiring is desired, you could increase the size of the wires or use the double up method. Running two identical leads of the standard wire size doubles the current capacity without having to change wiring or stock a different size.

Comment

Working...
        X