Installing an engine back in the frame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing an engine back in the frame.

I had a few requests to show this when I started putting my 550 engine back in the frame. In fact some of you wanted pictures of it coming out, but I didn't have any of those. But I did promise to take pictures of when I put it back in. Which was easier than taking it out, since I knew what needed to come off the frame first.

Here is the 550 engine sitting on the bench.

You will notice that the clutch is still not in and the side cover is not on. In fact neither side cover is on. To bring you up to date, I had to split the case and replace the transmission. So this is as far as it has gotten going back together. Also the oil filter is not yet installed either.

It goes back in the right side, into the frame. Note that the front mounts and the mounts on the right side are on the floor and not bolted to the frame. This is to allow more room to set the engine in.

Here we are sitting the engine in, and yes that's my arm and hand.

And still working it back in.

I found that working it in, then lifting slightly and sliding it in while pushing with my legs it slid right into place. Probably not the suggested way, and not for a bigger, engine that weighs more. I also had the floor jack available, so once close, I was able to lift it into place with that.

I got it in far enough to temporarly put in the upper rear mounting bolt. Then I was able to put in the bottom one. From there, we put on the front two and then bolt the engine to them. I then removed the top rear and put on the mount, then remounted the bolt. And finally added the bottom mount and put both bottom bolts in place.

Here are the front mounts, the way the mounted to the frame and with the bolt thru.

The top rear bolt and bracket after it was replaced.

The bottom rear mount just visible as the bolt head.

And finally the right side bottom mount after put back on and the engine bolted to it.

I hope this helps. The main thing about removing the engine is to remove the oil filter and removing all the mounts on the right side. You'll need a jack to support the engine while you do that, but after you remove them, it does come out fairly easily.

a old timer trick is to get a old tire and put the engine on its side on the tire and lower the frame over the engine, put in the mounts and bolts then pick it back up!

the frame minus engine is way lighter and easyer to handle, and the tire protects the engine and cradles it so it will stand on its edge.

Comment

Great job with the pics. I just pulled a 650 out of a frame and struggled with it before going out the right side. The lower engine mount on the left sticks up whereas the rightside is removed. Why is that I wonder?
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Good job with the pictures Roger. I was able to get mine back in with the help of my son, The Moose. Like Leon's tire idea also. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Nice job, Roger! And that engine looks nice and clean. Is your son going to give you the bike for all your hard work?
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Bruce, you've got to be kidding, right? I figured the day I split the case was the day it belonged to me.
            I really don't think he wants to give it up though. His truck woes rival his bike woes. Right now his "first" truck is sitting in the back yard with, once again, clutch problems. This is only clutch #3 since we rebuilt the engine, and I doubt he has over 50,000 on the engine.
            I finally convinced him to buy a real truck, an automatic this time.

You like how clean it looks? It's your fault. Notice that spray bottle in the first picture? And notice just how empty it looks?

Now just for some warmer weather to get it back together and running. Was a high of 8 yesterday, and it's 27 here now. Suppose to be back to t-shirt weather by the weekend, a whole 45.

Roger

Comment

Working...
            X